south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562037220.159837.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562037246.897982.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562037270.226392.jpg
I found this guy today at a site I’ve got dated to the cuestas phase hopewell and pamona cultures. A Snyder’s type point would fit neatly into my current interpretation of my site but after looking through overstreet it seemed to fit better with middle archaic points. I’d love to find an archaic element but my brain says probably Snyder’s cluster. I’m in se Kansas. What do you guys think?

Upvote 0
Certainly not Snyder. Too small and flaking is off. Most likely middle archaic such as a Brewerton. Remember sites were often reused. Finding archaic material on a hopewell site is common.

I agree not a true Snyder’s, Grand is in the Snyder’s cluster which I think is a contender. I’m fairly sure this site was in continuous use from hopewell to to the 1800’s. An archaic point would be great that would add another layer to its history and give me another group of people to research. Looks like brewerton is the right shape but not the right area. Maybe it’s a Kansas cousin

Last edited:
It’s not a Grand. Base is off and flaking doesn’t match.

I thought the base matched grand well... at least in overstreet. The examples on projectile points .com were a little different

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562153303.774550.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562153329.010963.jpg

The only hang up for me was the barbed shoulders and “typically well flaked” but I think use wear and variation in points still makes grand reasonable

Here’s some other points I thought were a possibility, some you have to imagine a lot of use and resharpening
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562154107.367226.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562154129.805120.jpgferry
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562154154.869500.jpgjordan
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562154180.309639.jpgpulaski

Nice point anyhow. I find similar here in eastern okla

IMO it’s too small. The base however has a grand look. It could be a grand variation.....

A great number of the images on that whole site are completely incorrect and misleading.

That’s why I favor overstreet. The website is kind of like an alternate opinion, if it aligns with my book then it’s a solid I’d, if it doesn’t I go with overstreet.

That’s why I favor overstreet. The website is kind of like an alternate opinion, if it aligns with my book then it’s a solid I’d, if it doesn’t I go with overstreet.

Previous editions of Overstreet were plagued with the same problem; anyone could submit images calling a point whatever they want and there's a good chance that it would be published as such.

I thought overstreet was pretty good haha at least I’ve got the newest one, what would you recommend for id points?

I thought overstreet was pretty good haha at least I’ve got the newest one, what would you recommend for id points?

The most accurate typology guide that covers the whole United States at the moment is the Overstreet 15th edition (ONLY the 15th edition). For more localized information on your area, you may want to pick up Jack Ray's "Projectile point types in Missouri and portions of adjacent states...", and Don Dickson's book on the Ozark Bluffdwellers. I'm working on another project right now that hopefully will help collectors and answer a lot of questions, but it's still a ways off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back