Snorkling

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Does anyone detect the water with just a snorkel, goggles and fins? (and detector)

I am considering trying it and I’m looking for pro’s and con’s. tips would be welcome.

TIA

Ralph

P.S.
No comments about beached whales please.

Upvote 0
Hey Ralph,
Farther north on the East coast where I am, the water is too murky to effectively use this technique, so I don't do it here. However, "The Bulgarian" of South Florida and many who detect with him effectively use this method all the time. I was told that by having your head under water you are not distracted by all the noise of people, surf, etc and you can concentrate better to listen for those small whisper sounds that mean deep gold. By being under water, you also do not have the distracting sounds from your detector as the control box is splashed by waves. One individual I now who is about 5'-7" wears 30 pounds of lead weight to keep him under water and detects using his snorkel in water as shallow as 15" deep. On a shallow target he will just fan the bottom rather than use his scoop. This individual has been detecting this way for many years and says that you have to build up to it, since you tend to use different muscles snorkeling than you do just walking and swinging. Hope this helps. Nothing to loose by giving it a try. HH, Ralph Peters

Hi Ralph,I use the drop and fan method whenever the water is clear enough.I like
it better than using the scoop.I use a mask and snorkle,but not the fins,as i'm
usually not over my head.It also requires a weight belt,especially if one has any
amount of body fat.I use about 30 lbs. +/-,depending on the situation.I like to be
glued to the bottom.Nothing worst than constantly fighting movement or floating
up-wears you out.Just have it set up for quick release-nothing in the way of the
buckle.Just slap and drop in case of emergency.If you wander over your head it is
a little had to swim with the weight and a detector.That's the place for scuba. But
it is great fun to see your target in the bottom of the hole you fan.Nothing like it.
And it's a lot cooler way to hunt in the summer.Good luck and be slow and cautious
in the start.HH Joe

Thanks for the reply's.

Any other participants?

I have done it this way, and yes, it does have its merits. It is easier to scoop, but some places it is easier or nicer to snorkel along. You can only do this during daylight hours of course, and the water must be fairly clear. It actually goes pretty quickly. I grew up hand fanning for goodies, so this way is a piece of cake for me.

Not sure if you know chuck...Drop him a line..on friendly detecting form, a pro, and good guy

I did snorkel detecting quite a bit last summer. I found that it is too difficult to dive down holding your breath and digging.

I ended up digging targets in shallow water, where I could fan the bottom yet still breath through the snorkel while digging.

I also ended up basically wading with snorkel gear.

I guess if you were using a scoop in sand it may be more possible to hold your breath and dig, but still, it is much more work than wading.

I would either wade or use scuba/hookah.

Put it this way... a snorkel wont effectively get you deeper than you can get by wading, imo

Re: Snorkeling

Fantastic video again Joe. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ralph consider snorkeling just an addition to the hobby. It is fun, but not always as productive as wading unless you are out in water as deep as the Joe's video. Your going to need a wet suit if you are in the water for any amount of time. For deeper water I used scuba and hookah so I didn't have to bob to the surface for air. If you are in a place where there is boat traffic you need a dive flag for your safety. You won't need dive weights if no wetsuit and I used a ping pong paddle for fanning. Don't let go of it unless you tether it to you.

You will see those thin gold chains laying on the bottom this way. One of my heaviest necklace's was found in about 8 foot of water and only a link was showing out of the sand. I thought it was an earring till I waved the coil over it and it was like moving the coil over your car hood.

Good Luck Ralph,
Dennis

Thanks again folks!

This is by far my favorite hunting method. Of course the water has to be fairly calm and clear. It's a lot easier on the back because you are floating with your arms hanging down, no bending over or lifting. I use my fins or hands to fan for targets which eliminates the need to carry a scoop, thus freeing up both hands to swing the coil which makes for less strain on just one arm. I have also found many things by being able to see the bottom such as jade bracelets, paper money etc., things that one would miss being above water. I've also made a 10ft. shaft for getting out into the deeper areas that go un-detected. I think best of all though is that it's cool, quiet and the scenery is always great. :icon_thumleft:

Heres some good advice.Dont wear any shiny jewelry on any part of your body while snorkeling.Fish with teeth like shiny objects.That goes the same for shiny black wetsuits.You dont want to look like a seal.If you are in the ocean and see any lots of bait fish swimming around you.Get away or out of the water.Large fish corral them into a ball and go in and eat them.If you are in with them then you may get eaten too depending on how big the fish thats doing the eating is.If you are worried about the men in grey suits then you should use a shark deterrent device like a aquashield (www.aquashield.us.com)or shark shield.I guess in lakes you dont have too much to worry about unless you see one of those very large gator snapper turtles (They eat anything)or a water moccasin.Same goes for fresh water rivers.Be careful of the rivers that are connected to oceans.Bull sharks can swim 200 or more miles upstream.A 13 foot bull shark was caught by a fisherman in the potomac river near wash dc recently.And watch out for stingrays.Dont step on them or try and pet them.So now you prolly dont want to get in the water to detect.Dont worry.Your chances of getting eaten by a water creature is like getting struck by lightning.Or winning the lottery.

I am a certified diver and snorkel a lot in the lakes I hunt. It's the way I hunt water that is too shallow to dive.
A way to cover as much ground as possible. Some lakes here are raised and lowered with the season, so that
opens up an area. Found a hell of a lot of goodies, snorkeling. Also a nice break from the weight of the belt
and tank. Go for it. Fan and take a garden trowel along on a lanyard to move rocks and gravel. Good Luck.

Thanks for all the reply's so far.

The video is a true question answerer. (is that a word?)

Montauk3 said:
Does anyone detect the water with just a snorkel, goggles and fins? (and detector)

I am considering trying it and I’m looking for pro’s and con’s. tips would be welcome.

TIA

Ralph

P.S.
No comments about beached whales please.
[youtube=425,350]yGNNz9AgXzM[/youtube]

Nice video, is that a head mount camera?

So I am guessing that as long as you aren't near a park or lease site, underwater detecting is allowed in florida?? Mostly gulf coast beaches I am assuming? Possibly some Miami area as well?

This topic is really interesting. I live minutes from Miami Beach/Hallendale. What would be the calmest months for snorkeling in South East Florida...say lowest wave height?

AL

well,being in the Keys with no wave action most of the time,i enjoy the swimming versus bending over alot.like a few have said eyeballing targets does happen,funny i still run the coil over it ;D for doing deeper targets i made an extra long handle for one of the scoops.still you have to be careful one place has who we nick named the GOBBLER, a 12 -14 FOOT resident hammerhead shark :fish:alot of tarpon in the area ,GOBBLERS favorite food thank you,not me..any deeper than 5 foot i will do hooka or tanks. i got the ping pong idea from something Teddy Tucker said in something i read,faster than handsanding...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back