Acagedrebel

Dec 19, 2019
Columbus ,Ms
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max ,Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, is it a revolver or semi-automatic?

If a semi the model number will be on the slide, so I'll assume revolver.

If you pull back the button on the left side beside the hammer (unless hammerless) the cylinder will swing out. The model number is stamped on the yoke that swings out and the cylinder is held by. It might be something like 17-1 or 14-3, etc. The first number is the model and the second number is the series. If a revolver design is modified it jumps up one in series.

Military versions may have the model number stamped under the grip butt. The US Model 1917 would be an example.

But an image sure would help!

Upvote 0
Show a picture of it.

Upvote 0
If it has a serial number you can look it up for when it was made just google Smith and Wesson serial search

Upvote 0
First, is it a revolver or semi-automatic?

If a semi the model number will be on the slide, so I'll assume revolver.

If you pull back the button on the left side beside the hammer (unless hammerless) the cylinder will swing out. The model number is stamped on the yoke that swings out and the cylinder is held by. It might be something like 17-1 or 14-3, etc. The first number is the model and the second number is the series. If a revolver design is modified it jumps up one in series.

Military versions may have the model number stamped under the grip butt. The US Model 1917 would be an example.

But an image sure would help!

I will add that many antique S&W revolvers use a hinged top break style access to the cylinder, with the barrel tilting forward in order to load the cartridges and eject spent cases. Here is an example:
EF6B3D2B-C8A3-4130-B53B-04A630710429.jpeg

Upvote 0
Good point, the break top S&W will date it from 1870 to around 1915. I’ve got a S&W New Model no. 3. It’s chambered for the Russian .44. Smith and Wesson ran a complete serial number search for me and determined that it was originally bought new from a hardware store in New Yoyk City in April 1877. This is a photo of mine, originally it was nickel plated. All serial numbers match, even the stamped wooden grips.

Attachments

• E30B35CC-486B-4FD1-9BED-4C219172F8D8.jpeg
    E30B35CC-486B-4FD1-9BED-4C219172F8D8.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back