Small Silver mini-spill + recent

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
The top two silver dimes 1956 and 1940 were found in the same hole. Being the newbie that I am, I only dug the merc. I was happy and filled in the hole. Turned back on the coil and it made the silver sound again. I reached for my pocket and the merc was still there. Okay, I missed another coin in the hole. I pull back out the plug and the probe said it was below the spot where I quit digging. I dug down another inch and popped up the dirt. I could see another silver dime, and thought it would be a merc. I was very suprised to find a 1956 Roosevelt. I assume they were lost at the same time. Would it be normal to be carrying a merc and roosevelt? If not from the same spill, then what are the odds of the roosevelt going down deeper? Anyway, I had fun.

The two on top of the pic are the ones from the same hole. The three other silvers are from the last week.

Regards,
Jon Dickinson
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

Attachments

• metaldetecting112007.jpg
    metaldetecting112007.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 700
Upvote 0
Jon,
Welcome. That is one BEAUTIFUL spill !!!
Great job,
MM

Congrats on finding silver - you're off to a good start. As to your question about having a Merc and a Roosevelt, yes it was common back then to have both types of dimes in your pocket. Let say those coins were dropped in the 1960, the Roosevelt was four years old and the Merc was 20 years old. It is not uncommon, now or then to have a 20 year old coin in your pocket change.

Jon, Congrats on all your silver...you're really doing well. :o Don't you just love those multiple silver holes? I've found a good share of those this year.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Earlier this year, I found a very worn 1901 Barber dime in the same hole with two wheats, one of which was a 56. As long as silver circulated, so did old silver (I assume). I'm too young to remember those days!

Nice silver coins

HH Jer

Thanks for the replies!!!! Capt. SE- This was my first multiple silver hole. I have only found 10 silvers since I started md'ing.... The good news is that I have only been at it a month, and I am starting to pile up permissions in places where I know there will be many more. I just hope the weather holds up in Ohio so I can get out and do it. I am really starting to get the hang of the machine. The dime spill was at about 6-7", and I was absolutely sure I had a silver dime before I even dug it. The only problem is that I messed up headphones trying to hunt in the rain the other day. Is it true that the Grey Ghost brand is the way to go? Anyone know where to get a cheap pair?
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

Before the big rise in silver prices in the early 60's that eventually led to the advent of clad in '65, I wasn't uncommon at all to see older coins circulating along with the current coins. My dad said that as late as 1960 it wasn't odd at all to see Merc's, SLQs, Walkers, and even (rarely) Barbers in pocket change. His neighbor has quite an extensive collection of old silver that he started as a kid in the 40s. There's lots of Barbers in there and even some Seated. He has about 8 or 9 full 3-ring binders and the ENTIRE collection is from POCKET CHANGE!

So given that, I don't think it's odd at all to find a Silver Rosie and a Merc in the same hole.

Nice batch of silver!!!
-SgtSki

Nice silver Jon. It still is a thrill to see it in the hole after 30 years of hunting.
Sounds like you will be finding a lot more since you have some sites lined up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back