small pie-shaped stamped silver-looking disc whatsit

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
The following has the diameter of a dime, maybe just a hair wider. It is stamped on the top, as you can see. It is about as thick as 5 dimes (see side view). I don't know what metal it is. It is very dense and heavy for such a little thing. Does not appear to be either aluminum, steel or iron. And it is not attracted to a magnet. The stamp is very clean and well defined. When I tried some of my acid on it it seemed to show a little silver content, but my acid is so old I wouldn't necessarily trust it. It was found on a beach. Here are the top, bottom and side views. Thanks for any ideas.

one1.jpg

one2.jpg

one3.jpg

Sorry, no idea what it was used for but it looks like there is some kind of wreath at the top of the 1 that was stamped over. Maybe that could be some kind of hallmark or something???

Charlie

Upvote 0
savant365 said:
Sorry, no idea what it was used for but it looks like there is some kind of wreath at the top of the 1 that was stamped over. Maybe that could be some kind of hallmark or something???

Charlie

Maybe. I first thought that pattern was caused by the stress on the material from the punch strike. Need to get me some new test acid and a new scale.

Upvote 0
bigfish31 said:
Weigh it to see if it weighs a gram or oz. Maybe its na balance weight.

My cheap worn out scale gives me a weight of about 10 grams. That would make sense.

Upvote 0
savant365 said:

Charlie

I think you are absolutely right about the wreath now. I've looked at it some under magnification and it does not appear to be stress cracks or anything like that. Thanks

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back