small lead (?) piece

je177

Dec 27, 2006
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300. Ace250
I found this small piece of what I believe is lead in a field today. I believe it is lead because I could leave a mark on it with my finger nail. It looks as if it has the letter "B" on it. It had a light colored tarnish on it. The piece is a little smaller than a dime and the thickness of a quarter. What could it be? I hope the pics come out ok, I haven't posted many. Thanks.

J

Attachments

• lead piece.jpg
    lead piece.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 244
Forgive my ignorance, but how is a lead seal used. I also should have added that it was fould in southeastern MA in an area that has been active since at least the early 1700's. Thanks for the quick post.

J

Upvote 0
They have a small wire that secures a lock usually.Your electric meter on your house probably has one on it.The seal is installed so it can be detected if anyone tampers with what is inside.Can someone else discribe it better?Jump in.A lot of 18 wheelers have a seal(lead) on the trailer doors if they are loaded.The seal has a slot that both ends of the wire go through and then it is crimped to secure it,similiar to a split-shot fishing sinker is secured.

Upvote 0
I have no clue how old yours would be and I am no expert on lead seals, but I am fairly certain they have been used for centuries.

Upvote 0
It would be nice to have a picture that was larger and showed the front and the back. it is true that there are modern seals that have a wire that is crimped between them. They are used to tell if a box or something has been opened.

The older ones were used to show the tax paid on certain items like cloth. They would be folded over and crimped with some of the material trapped by the seal.

If your is an older one, it should show a "tab" where it was folded over and also have impressions that show the tax. Sometimes they are like hallmarks and the impressions make no logical sense.

I'll attach a couple.

Daryl

Attachments

• weight2.jpg
    weight2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 121
  • TN4.jpg
    TN4.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 124
  • seal.JPG
    seal.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 175