Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in an area that was settled in the mid-18th century. On the site I have found 18th and 19th century relics including a round ball from a 75 caliber British musket.

I'm wondering if it might be a sling buckle from a musket? Any input will be appeciated. Thanks

2015-06-07_11.35.37.jpg

2015-06-07_11.36.15.jpg

The metal is flat not round so probably not a chain liink.

Upvote 0
THATS A 1700S CHAIN LINK I HAVE BEEN TOLD, I HAVE A FEW MYSELF,VANZUTPHN

Upvote 0
Chain was/is rarely round... even today.

Agreed with Mucky ... chain.

Upvote 0
Works for me-thanks everybody

Upvote 0
Plus I think it would be counter productive to have iron on an already burdensome musket..

Hey Down and Dirty- Yes the chain is likely 18th century, but I can only speculate as to how it was used. It was recovered from an old plantation site so your guess is as good as mine.

Upvote 0
Take a look at the link (no pun intended) I posted above; it may have been used to hang a pot or kettle over a fire.

Upvote 0
It is listed as an "18th century wrought iron hearth cooking chain trammel."
Cooking chain.jpg

Upvote 0
Here is the description that accompanies the picture:
"As the temperature of a cooking hearth could only be manipulated by the size of the fire, a trammel such as this was an essential means for regulating the heat exposure to various pots and kettles.

The chain would have been looped over an iron bracket or pole built into the masonry, allowing the links of the chain to hang below. The bottom hook would be used on the handle of the various cookware put before the flames. The smaller hook would act to fit itself on one of the various forged iron rings, thus adjusting the size of the trammel and the distance the various kettle/pot would be from the flame; allowing for better temperature regulation."

Upvote 0
Here is the chain link after electrolysis. I found the round iron ring at another part of the site & it looks very similar to the one in the trammel chain.

2015-06-09_10.56.56.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back