✅ SOLVED Small glass bottle found scuba diving - perfume or medicine?

Chad1978

Dec 27, 2014
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi there. I pulled up this old looking small glass bottle, can anyone ID it? Embossing on bottom in circular pattern shows "T.H. Stough" and "Annette, Pennsylvania". In the center of the bottom it shows "Patent No. 136451". About 3 inches tall, 1 1/2 -2 inches across. Date? What could have been inside, very decorative.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 118
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 125
  • pic 4.jpg
    pic 4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
  • pic 5.jpg
    pic 5.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 137
Last edited:
VINTAGE T. H. STOUGH COMPANY GLASS & METAL LANTERN CANDY CONTAINER JEANNETTE PA
mLUUpEk9kLDuopWpT3bzuHQ.jpg il_340x270.763206748_85xo.jpg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Patent dates on base aren't usually good indicators for dating bottles..top, base and mold seem are the go to for dating bottles, especially pretty 1900 ones

Upvote 0
Patent dates on base aren't usually good indicators for dating bottles..top, base and mold seem are the go to for dating bottles, especially pretty 1900 ones
I can date this bottle within 10-15 years with the patent date. Patents expire in 10-15 yrs, I forget which, and that will give us the most accurate dateline of this bottle,

Top base and mold seam are all good but you use every clue you can get. The mold seam will only tell you if its ABM, automatic bottle machine made basically after the TOC. . The same with the base on ABM bottles. The top threads may help but the patent date would be your best indicator in most cases if you are lucky enough to have a patented bottle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good to know, I usual am digging in the 1850 to 1890'see Era with bottles given my location. Lots of blobs and sheared lip bottles, with an occasional pontiled bottle.

Upvote 0
As far as the seams, it appears that I can see a seam around the bottom so my guess is ABM so this puts it 20th century. Thats the best we can hope for with the seams and the base. We need that patent date.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now that I think about, the base is also very helpful. Sometimes we can identify the glass manufacturers mark and get a dateline.

Upvote 0
Look above the patent date. You see the keystone manufacturers mark? Keystone shape with a letter inside (such as K, L, J, M, T, etc). Most, although not all, of the “letter inside a keystone” marks were used by glass factories owned/controlled by the Knox Glass Bottle Company. http://www.glassbottlemarks.com/bottlemarks-3/

Can you tell us the letter inside the keystone mark? Great pics BTW. I zoomed in but cant see it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To me the patent date is the surest way but I cant find it. I think we are missing one letter. 40s- 50s means we should have a 7 letter patent date.

I tried Patent No. 136451 with 0-9 added and couldnt find it so Im missing something here or have one number wrong. Otherwise this would have been all over a few posts ago.

patent date bottle.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Whoa, I just learned a lot reading all of the remarks on my thread! As far as I can tell, scrapping off some of the coral encrustation, I think the Keystone mark above the patent no. is a letter "J"

Upvote 0
VINTAGE T. H. STOUGH COMPANY GLASS & METAL LANTERN CANDY CONTAINER JEANNETTE PA
View attachment 1197348 View attachment 1197349

VHS07 hit it right off the bat.

USD136451-0.png

Oct. 5, 1943. 'r. H. STOUGH Des. 136,451

TOY CANDY CONTAINER Filed Aug. 11, 1943 3M, 4: Z0 ugh I I at,

Patented Oct. 5, 1943 Des,

UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE DESIGN FOR A TOY CANDY CONTAINER Turney H. Stough, Jeannette, Pa.

Application August 11, 1943, Serial No. 110,884

Term of patent 14 years To all whom it may concern: Figure 1 is a side elevational view of a toy Be it known that I, Turney H. Stough, a citicandy container, showing my new design, [being a citi]zen of the United States, residing at Jeannette, Figure 2 is a vertical sectional view on line in the county of Westmoreland and State of 2-2 of Figure 1, and

Pennsylvania, have invented a new, original, and Figure 3 is a top plan view.

ornamental Design for a Toy Candy Container, I claim:

of which the following is a specification, refer- The ornamental design for a toy candy conence being had to the accompanying drawing, [con]tainer, as shown.

forming part thereof. TURNEY H. STOUGH.

In the drawing:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
It looks like it has a patent date of 1873, any patent number between134,504 and 146,119 were registered in 1873 according to this site:
Biddington's: US Patent Numbers Chart for Dating Antiques and Collectibles 1836-1990

There's several members that are patent experts, hopefully one of them will post the specific patent information.

Why does Ants link show it as an old patent number? Why is it only 6 digits?

OK I see now it shows as a Des. number. Design patent number

Design Patent.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back