Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I got back to the scout camp for one last hunt before the tents go up. I won’t get back again until at least mid August. I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and covering one site and doing a walk around on 2 others until the sky opened up and poured (they weren’t calling for any rain). I managed to find 119 coins with a face value of $8.91, 130 camp tent pegs, a newer scout pin, a Summertime Cub Scout pin, a small pendant, some sinkers, a copper band from metalwork merit badge class, a rope tensioner, the end of a charge cord, a pencil sharpener made in Germany, a clip, a marble, personal tent pegs, melted aluminum from the campfires and tabs.

IMG_8667.jpeg

DSCN3292.jpeg

The pendant is cool looking. It is a tiny geode cut in half with a metal backing. I thought it might be silver, but you can see the plating coming off and it is green underneath, so copper alloy of some kind. The geode may be a fake as well, hard to tell by looking.

DSCN3293.jpeg

DSCN3294.jpeg

DAY 2
I went back to the festival grounds and started gridding a section I haven’t done before. I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 113 coins with a face value of $5.84 (79 pennies), a big zipper, a wire connector, a plastic gem, a toy car, a pair of snips, a railroad spike, an aluminum nail used for hanging gutters, a box cutter, can slaw and tabs.

DSCN3295.jpeg

IMG_8669.jpeg

Nothing special unfortunately, but I did get some ground covered and I got some gas money.

DAY 3
I got back to the middle school and continued working a grid on the hillside above the field. Lots of coins and a few interesting things. I moved to another grid and it was very quiet, but there was a winner waiting for me there.

Altogether I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 137 coins with a face value of $6.49, 6 wheaties, 2 tokens, some cheapie jewelry, a golfing divot tool, part of a toy car, a bracelet, a cheapie hose nozzle, can slaw, tabs and pencil ends.

DSCN3296.jpeg

DSCN3297.jpeg

The smallest item this trip was a small brass item with the picture of a cap and the word OTTO. It may be from a hat. I’m not sure.

DSCN3298.jpeg

The bracelet was a nice surprise. I was in the second grid which has very few targets when I got a mid tone signal. I dig all those. I thought it was either another tab or a chunk of foil. When I popped the plug I saw some silver bits peeking out and I knew it was something better. It is marked ITALY 925 and AERO. If you look closely you will see something flaking off the links and clasp. I thought at first it was a fake and that the plating was coming off. On closer inspection I could tell it was silver. The flaking is from a coating used to keep the silver from tarnishing. When coated silver is in the ground long enough it will flake off. I have seen this several times in the past.

IMG_8715.jpeg

DSCN3299.jpeg

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I found a few dimes and pennies on our walks, nothing great. I did find another garter snake. This one was at the scout camp. I also found a nice looking butterfly in my back yard. He fluttered all over the place and then settled down and held perfectly still for a minute so I could get a good shot. It’s nice when the wildlife cooperates.

IMG_8665.jpeg

IMG_8656.jpeg

Another little friend was this red eft. It is the juvenile of an eastern newt. The newt is brownish with orange spots. This little guy was crossing the road as I was taking my morning walk on a rainy day. He is about 2 inches long.

IMG_8671.jpeg

Another busy week with family so only 3 days of swingin. A nice heavy chunk of silver that is ready to wear and 369 coins. Of course I also dug lots of trash so it was a very holey week. (No matter what the signal is, you can’t be sure what it is until it’s out of the ground so I’m not afraid to dig and be sure.). Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 13
That's quite the haul for three days. Love the newt.

Great bunch of pics and lots of good hunting, congrats on the silver, nice!

It almost seems like the scouts don't bother to pull up the stakes knowing you're going to come along and do it for them. :dontknow:

Great bunch of pics and lots of good hunting, congrats on the silver, nice!

It almost seems like the scouts don't bother to pull up the stakes knowing you're going to come along and do it for them. :dontknow:
Thanks. It does seem like the staff in one of the Boy Scout areas just leave the stakes in the ground or wherever they land. The other areas don’t leave as many for me to find.

Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

DAY 1
I got back to the scout camp for one last hunt before the tents go up. I won’t get back again until at least mid August. I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and covering one site and doing a walk around on 2 others until the sky opened up and poured (they weren’t calling for any rain). I managed to find 119 coins with a face value of $8.91, 130 camp tent pegs, a newer scout pin, a Summertime Cub Scout pin, a small pendant, some sinkers, a copper band from metalwork merit badge class, a rope tensioner, the end of a charge cord, a pencil sharpener made in Germany, a clip, a marble, personal tent pegs, melted aluminum from the campfires and tabs.

View attachment 2153406

View attachment 2153407

The pendant is cool looking. It is a tiny geode cut in half with a metal backing. I thought it might be silver, but you can see the plating coming off and it is green underneath, so copper alloy of some kind. The geode may be a fake as well, hard to tell by looking.

View attachment 2153408

View attachment 2153409

DAY 2
I went back to the festival grounds and started gridding a section I haven’t done before. I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 113 coins with a face value of $5.84 (79 pennies), a big zipper, a wire connector, a plastic gem, a toy car, a pair of snips, a railroad spike, an aluminum nail used for hanging gutters, a box cutter, can slaw and tabs.

View attachment 2153410

View attachment 2153411

Nothing special unfortunately, but I did get some ground covered and I got some gas money.

DAY 3
I got back to the middle school and continued working a grid on the hillside above the field. Lots of coins and a few interesting things. I moved to another grid and it was very quiet, but there was a winner waiting for me there.

Altogether I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 137 coins with a face value of $6.49, 6 wheaties, 2 tokens, some cheapie jewelry, a golfing divot tool, part of a toy car, a bracelet, a cheapie hose nozzle, can slaw, tabs and pencil ends.

View attachment 2153412

View attachment 2153413

The smallest item this trip was a small brass item with the picture of a cap and the word OTTO. It may be from a hat. I’m not sure.

View attachment 2153414

The bracelet was a nice surprise. I was in the second grid which has very few targets when I got a mid tone signal. I dig all those. I thought it was either another tab or a chunk of foil. When I popped the plug I saw some silver bits peeking out and I knew it was something better. It is marked ITALY 925 and AERO. If you look closely you will see something flaking off the links and clasp. I thought at first it was a fake and that the plating was coming off. On closer inspection I could tell it was silver. The flaking is from a coating used to keep the silver from tarnishing. When coated silver is in the ground long enough it will flake off. I have seen this several times in the past.

View attachment 2153415

View attachment 2153405

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I found a few dimes and pennies on our walks, nothing great. I did find another garter snake. This one was at the scout camp. I also found a nice looking butterfly in my back yard. He fluttered all over the place and then settled down and held perfectly still for a minute so I could get a good shot. It’s nice when the wildlife cooperates.

View attachment 2153418

View attachment 2153417

Another little friend was this red eft. It is the juvenile of an eastern newt. The newt is brownish with orange spots. This little guy was crossing the road as I was taking my morning walk on a rainy day. He is about 2 inches long.

View attachment 2153416

Another busy week with family so only 3 days of swingin. A nice heavy chunk of silver that is ready to wear and 369 coins. Of course I also dug lots of trash so it was a very holey week. (No matter what the signal is, you can’t be sure what it is until it’s out of the ground so I’m not afraid to dig and be sure.). Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back