SMALL COPPER TUBE? ANY CHANCE THIS COULD BE A CANNON PRIMER?

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in an old one room school house yard where they said they had found some cannon balls in the field? I know this is very unlikely, but might explain where the cannon balls came from. Any and all comments are appreciated. I have seen one of the cannon balls, (?) but i am not sure it is as I have never seen one. As always Keep Swinging!!

Attachments

• IMG_0983.JPG
    IMG_0983.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0984.JPG
    IMG_0984.JPG
    974.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0985.JPG
    IMG_0985.JPG
    812.3 KB · Views: 62
I found some copper pieces like that on a Treasure Coast beach. Dont know what it is.

Upvote 0
Maybe the fill tube from a B.B, gun?

Upvote 0
Sorry to have to say, it's definitely not a cannon primer, nor a capper for a blackpowder Cap-&-Ball firearm. It looks a lot like the brass reinforcing edge of something like a photo frame, or a purse, etc, etc.

Upvote 0
Thanks TheCnnonballGuy. I was looking for a LOOOOOOOng shot here. Keep Swinging!!

Upvote 0
The capper suggestion was an extremely looooong shot but I posted it anyway. I dont know if they even really used that inline type or its a modern invention? :dontknow: I shoot a cap and ball sometimes but I never saw any use for a capper. But I have one.

Upvote 0
Okay here's my loooong shot, the top of a windshield wiper blade or arm.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
BigCypressHunter, a version of that in-line type of percussion-capper was in use during the civil war. I've seen a US Patent for it, dated from the civil war era. A few have been dug by relic-hunters at civil war sites. Apparently it didn't get what we could call "a lot" of use.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back