Small coin spill of Barbers and a 1916 Mercury

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I searched a mill site this past Friday that dates back to at least the 1850s. I was getting skunked other than a couple harness buckles when I got an interesting high tone fairly close to the road. I dug the hole and pulled a 1916 Mercury with no mint mark😖. I rescanned the hole, and found the 1912D Barber dime. I scanned again, and got the 1909D Barber quarter. Nothing after that, but I was still pretty happy. These coins came out of the ground very tarnished. I don’t usually clean silver with anything but a little distilled water, but these were pretty bad. I tried electrolysis on the two Barbers, but I must have cooked them too long or rubbed too aggressively with baking soda, as they are too shiny now. I soaked the Mercury in a foil lined bowl with water and baking soda. It is still too dark, but looks more natural. Happy hunting!
DA38AF14-B3FC-43D0-B78D-2C482F82766C.jpeg
587BA579-0AE7-4527-BC8C-EAE29C8AA3DD.jpeg
9E1D330D-F7A2-4622-A215-3725AFDF90A5.jpeg

Upvote 54
I searched a mill site this past Friday that dates back to at least the 1850s. I was getting skunked other than a couple harness buckles when I got an interesting high tone fairly close to the road. I dug the hole and pulled a 1916 Mercury with no mint mark😖. I rescanned the hole, and found the 1912D Barber dime. I scanned again, and got the 1909D Barber quarter. Nothing after that, but I was still pretty happy. These coins came out of the ground very tarnished. I don’t usually clean silver with anything but a little distilled water, but these were pretty bad. I tried electrolysis on the two Barbers, but I must have cooked them too long or rubbed too aggressively with baking soda, as they are too shiny now. I soaked the Mercury in a foil lined bowl with water and baking soda. It is still too dark, but looks more natural. Happy hunting!View attachment 2069111View attachment 2069112View attachment 2069113
Great finds! They were pretty toasted....and look better now even if you may have over cleaned them...

Congratulations 👍

I searched a mill site this past Friday that dates back to at least the 1850s. I was getting skunked other than a couple harness buckles when I got an interesting high tone fairly close to the road. I dug the hole and pulled a 1916 Mercury with no mint mark😖. I rescanned the hole, and found the 1912D Barber dime. I scanned again, and got the 1909D Barber quarter. Nothing after that, but I was still pretty happy. These coins came out of the ground very tarnished. I don’t usually clean silver with anything but a little distilled water, but these were pretty bad. I tried electrolysis on the two Barbers, but I must have cooked them too long or rubbed too aggressively with baking soda, as they are too shiny now. I soaked the Mercury in a foil lined bowl with water and baking soda. It is still too dark, but looks more natural. Happy hunting!View attachment 2069111View attachment 2069112View attachment 2069113
Outstanding...!
Those are great coins! :thumbsup:
The Mercury 1916 too bad it didn't have that "D", right? Great condition, too!
Be proud!

Nice job!!

Great finds! They were pretty toasted....and look better now even if you may have over cleaned them...

Congratulations 👍
Thanks! Definitely mixed feelings about the cleaning. I wasn’t going to enjoy the coins as is, since the tarnish was so bad, which is pretty unusual. I just wish I cut the electrolysis short or skipped the rub. They do look better though, and I am grateful to have dug them.

Outstanding...!
Those are great coins! :thumbsup:
The Mercury 1916 too bad it didn't have that "D", right? Great condition, too!
Be proud!
Thanks! Yes … a D mint mark would have been awesome. I took the more gentle cleaning approach with the Mercury, as I wasn’t sure of the mark. Interesting that the other two coins were D’s - I was hopeful.

Thanks! Definitely mixed feelings about the cleaning. I wasn’t going to enjoy the coins as is, since the tarnish was so bad, which is pretty unusual. I just wish I cut the electrolysis short or skipped the rub. They do look better though, and I am grateful to have dug them.
Those are great saves...I especially like the barbers...

Awesome!!! Congrats!!!!

Well done fellow Mass hunter! It's amazing we've been gifted with such a great winter!! What are the chances that the 2 Barbers would be D mints and the Merc not- of course if it was a 17, it would've been a D- perhaps the next 16 Merc will be the one- GL!

Well done!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back