Skunked at the Beach, Silver in the Dirt

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks,

I recently discovered that a historical beach I’ve been researching has a public access point and I’ve been excited to check it out. Loads of people used to take a steamboat to hangout there in the early 1900s and it looked good on a map.

Well, I spent a couple hours there today and didn’t even get a modern coin. There was plenty of good sounding trash so I don’t think it was hunted out, just not a good site for whatever reason.

I spotted a boarded up house a few weeks ago that I wrote down because I wanted to hit the curb strips around it. I went there as Plan B for an hour and that worked out much better.

I got my lone wheat of the day there early on. I didn’t find much else and was feeling dejected and then saw more “crap” lying in my way. I reached down to pick up this broken chain and realized it was a bracelet. I looked closely and saw a sterling mark, score!!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1561345134.020229.jpg

Found the marble as I was doubling back digging a crummy signal. Got one last, shallow high tone at that site and popped out the tiny silver ring!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1561345146.954075.jpg

I may have found one of my bigger silver objects and one of my smaller silver objects ever within 20 minutes of each other.

On my way home I spotted one more tearout with a tiny sidewalk strip. I swung over it and only got one keeper, but it’s a good one. A 1944 Philippines One Centavo. I’ve really been wanting to find an old Philippines/US Territory coin (albeit silver) and this is pretty close! Ironic to find this the same week my brother got the 1903 Philippines One Peso/silver dollar. We’d never found a Philippines coin before.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1561345245.773910.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1561345260.757897.jpg

I think the detecting gods felt bad for teasing me with that juicy looking beach and decided to show some pity. I’ll take it.

Here’s all the goodies together.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1561345353.895117.jpg

Good luck out there folks!
-W

Upvote 16
Nice digs! We find those Philippine coins all the time here in Nor Cal. I think it's a west coast thing...

Nice digs! We find those Philippine coins all the time here in Nor Cal. I think it's a west coast thing...

Yeah! I wonder if most of the troops reporting back home from the Pacific theater came back to the west coast. You ever find an Silver denominations of the Philippines coins?

Freakin cool finds my friend keep it up

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

I like the sterling bracelet. Nice handful of finds. Congrats

Nice job, but your brother is still kicking your behind with that silver dollar:laughing7:

Nice finds, congrats! :occasion14:

Score! How may bracelets do we get? Not enough! Grats!!!

Good call on making that stop, nice bracelet & ring, nice centavo & marble, love finding marbles, congrats on the saves & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back