Sites near Troy, MO??

There was a small civil war skirmish along a creek to the East of Troy. I also know that there was an indian battle near Winfield. Not to mention the fort up by Louisiana. There are lots of sites in that area. By the way, you don't mention what you are searching for?

According to Missouri Roadsides by Bill Earngey, ISBN 0-8262-1021-X, 1995:

Troy was platted in 1819 along what would become US-61 at the sight of the derelict War of 1812 fort "Wood's Fort"

The architecture in Troy:

1859 Christian Church
1868 Presbyterian Church (remodeled 1940s)
1st Church / Masonic Hall 1837-1852
Lincoln Co. Court House 1870 (additiions in 1930s, 1974)

Cuivere Island Conservation Area:
Mississippi River island 15 miles east of Troy as the crow flies. 1/2 in Lincoln Co. 1/2 in St. Charles Co.
Site of Fort Howard (War of 1812 fort)
Boat access only

Boone's House Site:
The brother of Daniel Boone
Stone house site 1800 from Spanish land grant.
SR C at US 79, Gravel Road North 1.2 miles to cemetary at church; site just SW of cemetary

Fort Cap Au Gris (1812 Fort site)
South of Winfield, MO dosen't state exactly where.

Cuivere River State Park
Need permit to detect beach only.

There are alot of old home sites in Lincoln Co.- Always ask permission (TreasureNet mantra)
http://www.lincoln.mo.us.landata.com/

I have heard that Lincoln County is rich in Native American artifacts.

I hope this helps.

I'm an hour North of you, and I have a few sights....definatley be interested in a group hunt!

~Tom

I have often wondered about the site just South at Moscow Mills. When your heading South towards Wentzville, just beyond the junk yard, on the left hand side. There is an old stone mound. You can tell there are many dark gray stones there of roughly the same size and are entwined with dead vines. I am not sure if it is a marker, the top to an old root cellar or what? Some day I thought I might stop and ask - (I am just not the best at asking permission).

I also have a lead on a meteorite not far from Troy, but once again with the permission thing.

Hey guys, Lake St. Louis here. I would definitely be interested in a group hunt. One of the sites I have been meaning to locate is approx. 2 miles west of the West Allen Grill in Wentzville. Anyone been there yet? I believe it's known as the Battle of Wentzville although I think it was more of an ambush than anything.
Hit me up anytime. I'm always on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back