Sisters and a car over the last few days!

JimmeyC

Oct 15, 2012
N. Tonawanda, Amherst, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug, Garrett Ultra GTA 1000, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, Just thought I'd put up a few MD finds over the last week. The merc's I found a day and a mile apart! A few costume rings (dang, still no gold). And this great little 1/2 car from an old farm site! Wish it were all there... Love the look! Another spot produced over $10 in clad in a short time! Been a good week but man do I need to find some new hunting ground!!!! That 4 letter "S" word is coming soon!
20121120_164621.jpg20121120_164810.jpg20121120_163754.jpg

Upvote 1
Great Find...
MERCURY _ HE was a messenger who wore winged sandals,[SUP][1][/SUP] and a god of trade, merchants, and travel, the son of Maia Maiestas and Jupiter in Roman mythology. His name is related to the Latin word merx ("merchandise"; compare merchant, commerce, etc.), mercari (to trade), and merces (wages).[SUP][2][/SUP] In his earliest forms, he appears to have been related to the Etruscan deity Turms, but most of his characteristics and mythology were borrowed from the analogous Greek god, Hermes. Mercury is a dude. So you found Brothers... Your not the first one to think it is a girl.:icon_scratch:

Thanks Gypsy. Mercury was my favorite of the Greek Gods as a child. Just thought it would be so cool to have wings! I have also heard this dime type referred as a "Winged Liberty" many times on this site. This could be leading to some of the confusion. At the risk of sounding dumb. Do we have a Greek God on our American coin or is this Lady Liberty with a Mercury reference? I always figured it was Mercury until joining TNet. Thinking about it, the fact that the coin says "In God We Trust" makes it kind of odd we would portray a God of a different time, religion and country...

Then again, maybe I'm just over thinking this....

Last edited:
Hi jimmeyC...The figure on the dime is actually Lady Liberty wearing a winged cap. I think it was called a phrygian cap which over the ages signified freedom or liberty, hence winged liberty head dime. I believe the wings meant to symbolize freedom of thought. Due to it's resemblance to the ancient god Mercury many refereed to it as a mercury dime and the name kinda stuck..

Nice find...still looking for my first silver...

Last edited:
Thank you Hawgwild for the clarity. No other American coin holds reference to anything other than the USA and thought It only seemed logical.

You will find silver if you are persistent. This area is so picked over but still find them on occasion. 3 of my 4 I have found next to water. Lost fishing or playing.

Thanks again, Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back