🔎 UNIDENTIFIED single mystery rock from childhood collection

nunki

Oct 30, 2023
hi, I received this rock from an Uncle in Arizona (though not sure if that’s where it was actually found) who at the time told me it was a meteorite. obviously I’m pretty skeptical of that now lol, my uncle is no geologist and it fails most meteorite ID charts.

its very small (about 0.5in x 0.4in), doesn’t react to magnets, very heavy, very hard (scratches metal & all other rocks tested on). it’s got a weird sheen/sparkle that doesn’t show up well in pics. I’ve been looking at pics of Prophecy Stones, hematite, magnetite, even andradite garnet- but none of the pics seem to match. the prophecy stones (which are mostly limonite pseudomorphs as I understand ?) seemed the closest, but I keep getting thrown off by my rock’s much more crystalline formations. maybe I’m just not finding the right comparative pics tho. flash photos included to illustrate the rusty tone it has in bright lighting.

any help appreciated ! idk why this ID is bugging me so bad haha.

Attachments

• IMG_3439.jpeg
    IMG_3439.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3448.jpeg
    IMG_3448.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3440.jpeg
    IMG_3440.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3449.jpeg
    IMG_3449.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 45
Maybe native copper and cuprite ?

Upvote 1
Have you tried a streak test yet? rub it on an unglazed white tile and check the color of the streak it leaves behind.

Upvote 0
Have you tried a streak test yet? rub it on an unglazed white tile and check the color of the streak it leaves behind.
only had underside of mug available, but here it is. matches some pics of hematite streaks but I’m still unsure just bc of the weird crystalline bumps

Attachments

• IMG_3472.jpeg
    IMG_3472.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 1
only had underside of mug available, but here it is. matches some pics of hematite streaks but I’m still unsure just bc of the weird crystalline bumps
The botryoidal hematite and goethite deposit is a part of the larger San Luis Manganese District that is housed in the Magdalena Mountains, southwest of Socorro.

The most important deposits of hematite are sedimentary in origin. The world's largest production (nearly 75 million tons of hematite annually) comes from a sedimentary deposit in the Lake Superior district in North America.

Botryoidal Hematite is believed to remove negativity, enhance memory and mental clarity, and improve technical knowledge. It is also used to alleviate leg cramps, anxiety, and insomnia.

Upvote 1
On the lighter side, that last photo looks like one of Ellie May’s cookies.

That is one cool rock. Thanks for showing it.👍🏼

Upvote 1
Botryoidal form is rounded like bubbles or sphere/semi-sphere shape, these have angular crystal faces (though weathered) so most likely a pseudomorph of Hematite after Magnetite or Pyrite etc. Have some look at it to be sure.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back