silver turned into copper

bcboy

Nov 2, 2006
British Columbia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
bcboy said:
I electrolised a silver fork and the copper contents that is mixed into the silver has surfaced to the top so now the silver fork has blotches of copper all over the surface so the fork now looks half silver and half copper. Has this happened to anyone and is there a way to fix it? Thanks

I've been doing this for so long there a few things I haven't seen.

What you describe has happened with plated forks or solid "German Silver" pieces. "German Silver" is basically nickel and there is really no real silver in it (nickel, copper and zinc).

My guess is your fork is really "German Silver." This alloy can be really weird. I've totally restored the silver coating by soaking pieces in vinegar and salt (mixed) for about an hour. Neutralize by soaking it in warm water with baking soda mixed in.

Rise the fork and allow it to air dry for 24 hours. Sometimes this works. The vinegar sort of draws the nickel out of the alloy.

Other times a polishing with Semichrome paste wax will remove the surface copper film and make the item look silver color again.

There are no guarantees because like I wrote, "German Silver" is strange stuff.

Best,

Badger

Here is a picture of the silver fork. You can see how the copper and silver are visible. Ive tried to scrub out the copper with various solutions yet it is still in there. The copper comes out in blotches.

Attachments

• 100_1310.jpg
    100_1310.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,328
That's an interesting piece you have there.

I can't make out the stamp but if it's solid silver then it may be something has caused copper to plate to it.

If the stamp indicates silver alloy and copper keeps coming out of the pores of the metal then the silver/copper alloy was not mixed properily when the item was made. I guess that's about all I can think of.

To me it sure looks like a common silver plated fork.

If you find out what the stamp means this could help.

Badger, I am glad to see the mention of Simichrome here.
I have used it for years in the moldmaking trade and it does wonders for aluminum and steel.
Mirror finishes with ease on a lot if worked up to that fine of grit.

bcboy, looks to me that some of the copper in the mix leached out.
Or some plating went away.
Maybe some good polish and reverse plating would make them pretty?

Grey

Your fork was electroplated, electrolysis just lifts the silver from it. Your best bet is an old soft toothbrush and a little soap and water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back