Silver slowdown, but approaching a wheat milestone

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I haven't posted lately because there hasn't been much of interest to show. There isn't anything particular special today, either, but I wanted to use my experiences the last few days to share and/or reinforce a lesson. I'm starting to believe that the "easy" silver at the silver farm has been harvested, for the most part. There are still many areas of overgrowth, places where cottages once stood proudly; floods and other ravages of time have removed them, and the plot of ground where they stood hasn't been trimmed in ages. I've been going back over areas that I hit in the summer, when the ground was dry, and I'm doing it perpendicular to the direction I used the first time. This isn't bringing up much silver, but I am finding wheats. I'm digging signals that I might have overlooked the first time, or not even heard, and being more deliberate. I also did this in my front yard yesterday; I've gone over it every which way in the last three years, and I still pulled a 34 wheat yesterday. I also found this jewelry type wire; it was two or three inches down and clean as a whistle. I think it is gold, but there aren't markings. I assume that whatever other pieces that were attached to it had markings on them. You can't see it, but there is a loop on one end of what looks otherwise like wire. This isn't wire. Today at the farm I added three wheats, a 45P war nickel and what looks to me like a fishing lure. It says DARDEVLE SKEETER on the back. We've had overnight freezes, but afternoons have been warming up enough to dig, so my season isn't over yet!
As proof that my mind is going, I have to add information about the milestone I mentioned. As you will notice at the bottom of my posts, I am closing in on 400 wheats at the silver farm in the last six months. I hit 100 silvers a few weeks ago, so I guess approximately a 4:1 ratio isn't bad.

Attachments

• lure (2).jpg
    lure (2).jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 418
Upvote 0
KirkPA said:
What are you going to do when the wilver farm is hunted? ;) :D ;D Keep striking that wilver, buddy.

BDD...Kirk
I guess I'll have to do a lot of research this winter. Right next door, is another establishment that hosted similar vacation cottages early in the 20th century. I might have to introduce myself! This place is still very well kept.

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Henry...

What more can be said...

Congratulations on an outstanding season at the silver farm...

Continued success to you my friend,

Nick
Thanks, Nick: are those goggles or fashionware?

Hey, halfdime, I hope you get your 400th wheat from the silver farm. Your 4:1 ratio is great!! That's a little better than mine. I'm trying to get to 3000 before the year end. It's raining cats and dogs over here today, so I basically have Dec. to get the job done. The elusive silver is so fun/rewarding to find, now that your farm has been cleaned of the "easy" ones. It sounds like you are using the proper methods to find them.

Go get'em while the weather is still letting you.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

KirkPA said:
What are you going to do when the wilver farm is hunted? ;) :D ;D Keep striking that wilver, buddy.

BDD...Kirk
Theres always another silver farm waiting Kirk. What I'm looking for is a copper farm. :D :D. Seriously halfdime, I'm sure theres alot more for you to find there and I wish you luck on finding another "silver farm" next year.

Nice finds HD---You have sure done well at the silver farm.

Would I be imposing to ask what used to be there?

Time to get the weedeater out! ;D Our hunted out spot still has some keepers in the area's that's difficult to get to. :P I crawled under privet allll day today. :-X
Those totals are fantastic from there! You've had an awesome year of hunting!!! Congrats on those finds! 8)

Nana :)

Merf said:

This property belongs now to three siblings, and has been in their family for over 150 years. Originally a working farm, the original farmhouse and barn still stand. Two large fields grew soybeans this year. The property has about a half mile of frontage along a creek, and vacation cottages still line the banks. Severe floods in past years have wiped out many cottages, but you can see where they once stood. Many of the cottages are still in use, but the family wouldn't mind getting out of the leasing business. In many cases, the cottages and their owners are a blight on the property. I've gone there twice in recent months and found smoldering fires, left unattended by the "campers." One cottage, across the creek and on someone else's property, recently burned to the ground because of a fire that was left unattended. Some of the cottage owners treat the land as their own personal trash dump >:(. I'd like to see the campers gone; let's face it, they're not dropping any more old coins, so I don't need them! ;D

Great totals, half!

What a super year this has been for you! I'm glad to hear you have more spots on the horizon, I'm looking forward to reading about more of your exploits in the future.

BTW, the Daredevil Skeeter is a fishing lure.

Thanks for sharing. HH

halfdime said:
Merf said:

This property belongs now to three siblings, and has been in their family for over 150 years. Originally a working farm, the original farmhouse and barn still stand. Two large fields grew soybeans this year. The property has about a half mile of frontage along a creek, and vacation cottages still line the banks. Severe floods in past years have wiped out many cottages, but you can see where they once stood. Many of the cottages are still in use, but the family wouldn't mind getting out of the leasing business. In many cases, the cottages and their owners are a blight on the property. I've gone there twice in recent months and found smoldering fires, left unattended by the "campers." One cottage, across the creek and on someone else's property, recently burned to the ground because of a fire that was left unattended. Some of the cottage owners treat the land as their own personal trash dump >:(. I'd like to see the campers gone; let's face it, they're not dropping any more old coins, so I don't need them! ;D

Thanks for the info Halfdime----That is a fine spot to hunt for sure.
Those old vacation spots and campgrounds are some of the best. HH Merf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back