Silver shoe buckle Hallmark ID

thebmasur

Aug 17, 2017
Finger Lakes New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this silver shoe buckle for Christmas and am very curious about the hallmark on it. I wasn’t able to identify it and was hoping someone on here might have seen this mark before. It appears to be an “A” and “T” separated by a pear. I can provide more pics if needed! Thank you! IMG_9848.jpgIMG_9850.jpgIMG_9849.jpg

Cant help but google hallmarks Thats a awesome buckle

Upvote 0
I've seen that mark before and i"m sure it was on TreasureNet.
But I have no idea how to find it.

One thing is for sure... That is one COOL buckle!!

Upvote 0
I certainly don't mean to cast dispersions on your Christmas present, but the brass pin that holds the chape in place worries me? :icon_scratch:
From your pic, it looks new and recently polished to me?

I'm just saying, that there are a lot of these being reproduced for reenactments these days. :dontknow:

Dave

Upvote 0
I certainly don't mean to cast dispersions on your Christmas present, but the brass pin that holds the chape in place worries me? :icon_scratch:
From your pic, it looks new and recently polished to me?

I'm just saying, that there are a lot of these being reproduced for reenactments these days. :dontknow:

Dave

I appreciate all skepticism!! No worries. The pin appears to be steel not brass but not silver which could make sense as to why it doesn’t have a patina. I’m not an expert in these buckles by any means so I’m not sure how to tell a reproduction but it certainly seems real. The manufacture of it doesn’t seem to be to modern standards. Little imperfections here and there.

Upvote 0
Do you think it’s not? I could polish it but I thought it’s best left how it is

I don't know what it is made of. It seems strange the maker would stamp a hallmark but not include the required stamp for silver items. Silver is pretty soft and wears easily, not the best choice for the design you show.

In your first picture I see what appears to be verdigis (green oxide) in some of the more protected corners. Verdigis is only found on copper based items but not on silver.

If I were going to make a shoe buckle to last I would prefer to use brass for it's wear characteristics or better yet steel - which was the most common metal for shoe buckles. White brass (nickel "silver") is a much better choice than yellow brass or silver for the purpose. White brass alloys consist of copper with a bit of nickel to add toughness and turn the brass white.

There was a wide variety of styles for shoe buckles but the fashion only lasted for about 100 years. If your buckle is period you might be able to find who made it because the design is rather unusual. Knowing who made it or tracking down the area where it was made would enhance the value of the buckle.

Upvote 0
I don't know what it is made of. It seems strange the maker would stamp a hallmark but not include the required stamp for silver items. Silver is pretty soft and wears easily, not the best choice for the design you show.

In your first picture I see what appears to be verdigis (green oxide) in some of the more protected corners. Verdigis is only found on copper based items but not on silver.

If I were going to make a shoe buckle to last I would prefer to use brass for it's wear characteristics or better yet steel - which was the most common metal for shoe buckles. White brass (nickel "silver") is a much better choice than yellow brass or silver for the purpose. White brass alloys consist of copper with a bit of nickel to add toughness and turn the brass white.

There was a wide variety of styles for shoe buckles but the fashion only lasted for about 100 years. If your buckle is period you might be able to find who made it because the design is rather unusual. Knowing who made it or tracking down the area where it was made would enhance the value of the buckle.

Thanks for all the information!! I believe that verdigris you are referring to is dried silver polish. That’s what it appears to be at least. I definitely plan to research this further and see if I can figure out a maker or area of the buckle. I could do a silver test and determine the metal

Upvote 0
Nice buckle:icon_thumleft:

I can answer some of the questions posted about this buckle, firstly not all 18thC buckles had full hallmarks. A paticular process in which silver was fused on to base metal, today referred to as Sheffield Plate was used for shoe buckles in the late 18thC. I see nothing wrong with this buckle, it is in the style of a 18thC shoe buckle and a very nice one at that. I will try and ID the mark, which I suspect is the maker.

SS

Upvote 0
In your first pic of the makers mark there appears to possibly be a second much smaller impressed mark to the upper left of the first? This could be a standard or assay mark that could help id a country, etc...not sure if that’s what I’m seeing but it appears to be a mark of some sort which could be very helpful.

Upvote 0
Nice buckle:icon_thumleft:

I can answer some of the questions posted about this buckle, firstly not all 18thC buckles had full hallmarks. A paticular process in which silver was fused on to base metal, today referred to as Sheffield Plate was used for shoe buckles in the late 18thC. I see nothing wrong with this buckle, it is in the style of a 18thC shoe buckle and a very nice one at that. I will try and ID the mark, which I suspect is the maker.

SS

Thank you so much for your expertise!! I really appreciate your comment.

Upvote 0
In your first pic of the makers mark there appears to possibly be a second much smaller impressed mark to the upper left of the first? This could be a standard or assay mark that could help id a country, etc...not sure if that’s what I’m seeing but it appears to be a mark of some sort which could be very helpful.

I had the very same thought. That mark can be seen in both areas the main hallmark is. I’m not sure if that’s what it is but I suspect it isn’t just a coincidence. It’s so small that I can’t really make out anything distinguishable. I’ll try looking through a jewelers loupe.

Upvote 0
Thomas Boulsover, a Sheffield cutler, invented the process which became called Sheffield plate about 1740. The date is uncertain because no patent was taken out. The next known manufacturer was Joseph Hancock, in 1755, but others also began and in 1784 the Sheffield Plate makers obtained an Act of the Parliament legalizing a mark consisting of the full name of the maker and an associated device. In Sheffield plate a sheet of silver is fused on to a thicker one of copper and the compound billet rolled, both metals expanding equally, become a thin sheet of copper coated with a layer of silver. About 1840 the Electroplate process superseded Sheffield Plate. Its production ceased about 1860.

Sheffield plate was really not much different than modern electroplate in it's silver content. The process was more difficult than electroplating and only flat sheets of copper could be plated by the Sheffield plating method. As a result there is not much detail or sharp raised relief on Sheffield pieces, like those found on your buckle. The parts of Sheffield plate that were subject to wear rather rapidly show exposed copper on the surface. The tangs and back of your shoe buckle would show copper, not silver if they had been worn and were Sheffield plated.

Since Sheffield plate has virtually no silver content there will not be any silver mark. The British were hallmark and tax nuts and as you can see above they used the full maker name in the hallmark.

I have seen silver decorated steel shoe buckles from the time and I know of one example of an early German heavy silver shoe buckle in the Metropolitan Museum. As you can see that silver buckle was small and very heavy because silver is soft and will bend easily.

Here is a set of pages with the Sheffield Plate makers hallmarks. I looked through there to see if I could find your hallmark. I didn't see it there but I may have missed t. Take a look around and you might have better luck than I did with my casual search. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Thomas Boulsover, a Sheffield cutler, invented the process which became called Sheffield plate about 1740. The date is uncertain because no patent was taken out. The next known manufacturer was Joseph Hancock, in 1755, but others also began and in 1784 the Sheffield Plate makers obtained an Act of the Parliament legalizing a mark consisting of the full name of the maker and an associated device. In Sheffield plate a sheet of silver is fused on to a thicker one of copper and the compound billet rolled, both metals expanding equally, become a thin sheet of copper coated with a layer of silver. About 1840 the Electroplate process superseded Sheffield Plate. Its production ceased about 1860.

Sheffield plate was really not much different than modern electroplate in it's silver content. The process was more difficult than electroplating and only flat sheets of copper could be plated by the Sheffield plating method. As a result there is not much detail or sharp raised relief on Sheffield pieces, like those found on your buckle. The parts of Sheffield plate that were subject to wear rather rapidly show exposed copper on the surface. The tangs and back of your shoe buckle would show copper, not silver if they had been worn and were Sheffield plated.

Since Sheffield plate has virtually no silver content there will not be any silver mark. The British were hallmark and tax nuts and as you can see above they used the full maker name in the hallmark.

I have seen silver decorated steel shoe buckles from the time and I know of one example of an early German heavy silver shoe buckle in the Metropolitan Museum. As you can see that silver buckle was small and very heavy because silver is soft and will bend easily.

Here is a set of pages with the Sheffield Plate makers hallmarks. I looked through there to see if I could find your hallmark. I didn't see it there but I may have missed t. Take a look around and you might have better luck than I did with my casual search. :thumbsup:

Wow!! Thank you so much. I’m learning a lot which is wonderful. I really appreciate the research and information you shared with me.

Upvote 0
I got this silver shoe buckle for Christmas and am very curious about the hallmark on it. I wasn’t able to identify it and was hoping someone on here might have seen this mark before. It appears to be an “A” and “T” separated by a pear. I can provide more pics if needed! Thank you! View attachment 1664679View attachment 1664681View attachment 1664683
I think it's Chinese, could be wrong though, Im sure a silver ring I found recently had a similar stamp.

Upvote 0
Best of luck being authentic.

Upvote 0
That diamond shaped cartouche leads me to believe it's French and it is made in the style of French Rococo imo, https://www.925-1000.com/Ffrench_makers_A.html but I cannot find the initials A T. Also is this a little stamp mark that I've highlighted anything? Look closely at it with a loop as the French used tiny little relief images that indicate the grade of metal.

Attachments

• IMG_20181230_191633.jpg
    IMG_20181230_191633.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Upvote 0
That diamond shaped cartouche leads me to believe it's French and it is made in the style of French Rococo imo, https://www.925-1000.com/Ffrench_makers_A.html but I cannot find the initials A T. Also is this a little stamp mark that I've highlighted anything? Look closely at it with a loop as the French used tiny little relief images that indicate the grade of metal.

Yeah I suspect that is another marking as both places stamped with AT have a small mark like that near it. I hadn’t thought of French that’s good to know I’ll look into that. I’ll try and make out what the very small stamp is

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back