SILVER ROSETTE

41Digger

Mar 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying out some field area, that are now wooded, near the site where I got the watch winder. Did surprisingly well. The rosette came out first. Knew it was going to be pretty, but thought it was going to be plated... it is not, it is solid silver with the traditional lead back. Ended up with a few buttons a garter clip, and a kg3... I will definitely be going back
20240909_191217.jpg
20240909_191226.jpg
20240909_201901.jpg
20240909_201913.jpg

Upvote 33
Trying out some field area, that are now wooded, near the site where I got the watch winder. Did surprisingly well. The rosette came out first. Knew it was going to be pretty, but thought it was going to be plated... it is not, it is solid silver with the traditional lead back. Ended up with a few buttons a garter clip, and a kg3... I will definitely be going backView attachment 2167861View attachment 2167862View attachment 2167863View attachment 2167864
gorgeous rosette, well done

Looks like a piece of Horse Tack

Nice job I bet you had no problem hearing it

it is solid silver with the traditional lead back.
the filling on the back is solder not pure lead. the same is true for civil war buckles and plates. that's why the back is Crumbley .pure lead never crumbles.
this is good to know because if you ever see a civil war plate with a smooth lead filling it's a reproduction.

the filling on the back is solder not pure lead. the same is true for civil war buckles and plates. that's why the back is Crumbley .pure lead never crumbles.
this is good to know because if you ever see a civil war plate with a smooth lead filling it's a reproduction.
So what was the crumbly material made of actually.

Pewter/lead?

here's mine ,ever so slightly different
Yes, it is, but they both have that large red center.
I've been wondering what the red is; it's not gold, and it hasn't corrupted like the back... :dontknow:

Yes, it is, but they both have that large red center.
I've been wondering what the red is; it's not gold, and it hasn't corrupted like the back... :dontknow:
the back is solder which contains tin that rots, not a pure lead.. the rosette is copper with a silver plating. the back of mine is very distressed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back