65.5 KB · Views: 334
  • Picture 004 (3).jpg
    Picture 004 (3).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 346
  • Picture 002 (2).jpg
    Picture 002 (2).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 337
WOW!!!

What a neat watch find, I have found quite a few, and they all had some sort of information/Identifacation on them
Strange for a silver pocket watch

HH TIM ;D

Upvote 0
Very nice, hard to believe they didn't put their name on it. I am curious about something tho, Why did they use IIII for the 4 instead of IV? Was this common practice or just a mistake by clock and watch makers?

Upvote 0
savant365 said:
Very nice, hard to believe they didn't put their name on it. I am curious about something tho, Why did they use IIII for the 4 instead of IV? Was this common practice or just a mistake by clock and watch makers?

Good eye savant....I've don't think I've ever seen that...just adds to the mystery...

Upvote 0
Copperhead said:
savant365 said:

Good eye savant....I've don't think I've ever seen that...just adds to the mystery...

I have seen it before, I just never have heard why they did it that way.

Upvote 0
Copperhead said:
savant365 said:

Hey- I didn't notice that either . Thanks for the interesting link , Tony !

Attachments

• Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 0
Normally watch movements had the company's mark some where on it. I have seen some without
marks. Is there no jewel markings on the movement or any thing? You have a mystery
there. All the watch movement co. were proud of their trademarks.
DG

Upvote 0
Just tidying up some blasts from the past (including some very ancient ones), largely for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

The hallmarks aren’t pictured but, even without seeing them, I would be confident that this is a Swiss export case from c.1888-1890 but not later than c.1907, and that what are perceived as “lions” are actually “bears”… like this:

Bears.jpg

Note that there is usually also a third smaller bear although, unlike the marks shown above, it may not be in the same location as the two larger ones and can be elsewhere on the case. The Swiss introduced the silver standard of .935 with a “three bears” mark for watch cases on 24th December 1887 to protect their export business to Britain because neither of their existing standards (.800 and .875) met the sterling standard of .925 specified in the “British Merchandise Act” due to take effect from 1st January 1888. They ‘over-egged’ the standard at .935 because of uncertainty about whether the analytical tolerances in Swiss assay offices would match those used in Britain.

In October 1890 it was proposed that the practice be discontinued and watch cases be marked 0,935 with a single bear. The Fédération Horlogère Suisse expressed concern on behalf of watch case makers that British customers had become sufficiently accustomed to seeing three bears that it would be unwise to abandon the mark and so both styles were then allowed. The number of bears didn’t matter for all markets and so watch cases of 0,935 silver that were submitted to the Bureaux de Contrôle (assay offices) were usually in packets marked “Destinée à l'Angleterre” (destined for England) to be stamped with three bears; everything else, including for America, was stamped with a single bear.

Bear marks aren’t usually seen after 1st June 1907 unless a accompanied by a British hallmark, since all imported Swiss silver watch cases were then required to be assayed and hallmarked in a British assay office. In 1933 Switzerland introduced a .925 standard fully aligned to Sterling and accompanied by a duck hallmark.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back