silver-plated token?

Lilly0fA

Feb 13, 2015
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know what this item might be? It measures 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches, and is definitely silver plated. I made sure it was silver and not another type of metal. I found it at a school from the 1950s.

I am intrigued and also confused by the crest design.
IMG_4957.JPGIMG_4958.JPGIMG_4959.JPGIMG_4960.JPGIMG_4964.JPGIMG_4955.JPGIMG_4956.JPG

Last edited:
The mint mark (Mo) means Mexico City. The "D" mark below the mint mark designates the assayer's initial.
It was on 8Rs cob coins during the period 1618-1634.
This assayer's mark was typical of the coins found on the Atocha, sunk in 1622.
What is its weight, in grams?
Don......

Upvote 0
I've heard that they would give reproductions of these coins to kids in Bible school and tell them that that was the type of coin Jesus would have used.

Upvote 0
It's a fake. A reproduction of a "pirate treasure" coin. It's not silver plate, but most likely nickle plating over pot metal. It's not old, you can still buy them in every gift shop and tourists trap around the caribbean and florida

Upvote 0
fake coins.jpg

Notice yours in this group of replica coins for sale? Hint, its the lower left.

Upvote 0
Thanks Mackaydon! I appreciate the info. It's weird as the metal plating appears to be peeling off in places, and that's why the back part isn't in good condition. I suppose this is a replica of a reale.

Upvote 0
Thank you all for the information! I appreciate it! I didn't think of a Reale at all. Jason in Enid: you're right on with this. Except, I do think it's silver plated based on the weight, and it has that silver "clink" noise, even when you rub your thumb across it. I have googled reale replicas, and it definitely matches. thanks!!

Upvote 0
Cool find.

Too bad it was a real Reale huh??
Of course, there's always the possibility of finding the real thing......

Upvote 0
I've heard that they would give reproductions of these coins to kids in Bible school and tell them that that was the type of coin Jesus would have used.

Really, a Spanish pirate coin? Sure you don't mean a widow's mite or a denarius?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back