Dig-MV

Aug 26, 2014
Martha’s Vineyard
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to our new cellar hole today. Pulled two coppers and this needle thing. I'm including all that in a today's finds post but didn't want to call it a colonial silver needle without being positive. The fact that the EA is monogrammed on it is killer making me think it was home made due to the fact that there is no hallmark. Tell me what your thinking thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    676.5 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    744.5 KB · Views: 87
With the extra v-shape in the hole I would think that it would be hand in a gauge face, like the hand on a watch face.

Upvote 0
perhaps a needle for hand lacing leather? to me, it's got a look of more mid to late 1800s than colonial

Upvote 0
At this particular site we have 4 coins none dating later than 1760 along with 4 complete shoe buckles. Tell you the truth I don't think that the house site was even active in the 1800s. The slot in the eye looks to hand done and crude to be the work of a professional watch maker even for the times.

Upvote 0
Oh and yes... 1700's. IMO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Could be the site of a Shoemakers shop?

Attachments

• 364.JPG
    364.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 74
Upvote 0
Funny you say that because we have never found any site that has more complete shoe buckles we were joke about it being a shop. Found the fourth complete buckles yesterday

Upvote 0
Any way to research those initials to see of they are attached to one of the original landowners? To do that would make it a stellar find. It's still a nice rare find though, almost the proverbial needle in the haystack. I hope that site produces more for you.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back