Silver Military Badge?

pok8herc

Sep 20, 2013
Phoneix
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found what looks to be a Silver, maybe WWII era pin/badge. It still has the pin in tact on the back and tarnished like crazy. I've been able to research similar looking pins online but is there any significance with it being silver? Is this WWII era? And what kind of value might it carry? Thanks!

ForumRunner_20130922_063559.png

Last edited:
Pok8herc, welcome to TNet!
You'll get more answers if you post this in the What Is It? forum here on TNet.
Lots of smart folks there. Hope that helps.

What Is It?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the direction. Is there a way to delete this or relocate it to the proper section?

Upvote 0
I don't have any images, nor can I find any that have USA instead of the stars. I find plenty of pins and images that have the eagle with the crest and banner, but only similarities, not the exact pin. That's why I'm hoping for more info. I've attached two more photos, but any direction as to what it may be would be helpful.

ForumRunner_20130922_090710.png

ForumRunner_20130922_090652.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What bothers me is the two little loops on the bottom. Makes me think it had a ribbon hanging off it. Don't think it is a hat badge. Possibly civilian decorations.

Upvote 0
What bothers me is the two little loops on the bottom. Makes me think it had a ribbon hanging off it. Don't think it is a hat badge. Possibly civilian decorations.

That's what has me puzzled too.

Upvote 0
I was thinking it may be a hat pin as well. But a good point made is that this pin has USA where all military pins I've seen so far seem to have stars. So does that suggest its civilian made, maybe to copy the military look? Also from what I can tell most military pins are brass, and this pin is silver. Here's a link to the closest hat pin I can find, though only has similarities and is not exact.

http://www.tias.com/cgi-bin/item.fcgi?itemKey=3923520731

Upvote 0
Don't discount the possibility that this piece is a federal law enforcement officer's suspension badge. It may have had a sterling banner connected to the loops with a title or name. Prior to the federal government standardizing their LEO badges to what we recognize today, agent were able to have their own badges made by jewelers or badge companies. I have seen this "cut out" federal shield on IRS agent badges, US Marshal badges, etc... mostly used before the 1950's. Just a thought... very cool find, congrats, Sub 8-)

Upvote 0
There are military medals that have bars hanging under them, for instance the sharp shooter badge has bars for rifle, pistol, sub machine gun etc. In other words, the same medal gets future awards added to it. As for civilian, I remember my dad had a pin with bars for being an aircraft spotter, and after so many hours he'd get another bar, and as I recollect he had over 1000 hours. I know at the beginning of the war if you saw an airplane you called in and reported it, period. Don't remember much more though.

Upvote 0
I couldn't find any aircraft spotters badges, but here what I'm talking about on the marksmanship. This is a sterling badge.
marksmen badge.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks Sub, and Bosnmate. I'll do some more searching and see if I can find something new using that information.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back