silver,lead,asbestos!!!!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hit a local park for a few hours before picking up my chick from work.well clad etc then last 1/2 hour out pops? a .925 silver band like a 5 - 5 1/2 sized 4th one from this place in a month!deepest so far at like 5-6 inchs ,will be making it a regular stop more often? ;D? lots of area to cover. i have time to disc it down for the gold when the weather cools to dig more(probe really).on another note went to another spot not far from home that HAD potential ,after dinner, until after a half hour of digging up?chunks of LEAD and ASBESTOS i called it a day. i warned a guy playing horseshoes,dont bring small kids here for health reasons and showed him my diggs his eyes fell out off his head!!then we chatted it up about my X5 then we tossed a game which he killed me at!so do i tell the city or do they already know,i make a stink they will be all over my arse etc making my life hard.while this crap sits in the ground poisining the earth and the people who use it!i dont know some feedback would help i have a few ideas but need more thankx!? ? DEKALB 33

Upvote 0
Oh great Deek....Now I gotta add asbestos gear to my MD'ing bag! Let your conscience be your guide bud. If your finds bug you, make a stink. If the $hit hits the fan, fvck 'em! Let us know, this forum has reached lobbying size! Good luck with whatever you decide~CO2 8)

Hey! Let your consience be your guide, but just remember where the lead & asbestos came from to begin with. You are exposed to more asbestos in the air from vehicle brakes & clutches at the cross walk of any major street intersection than you are likely to be elsewhere (other than in a asbestos mine) in a life time. Asbestos abatement is just a way for govrenment agencies to make bucket loads of money off of people who can't afford it. They store the recoverd asbestos by burying it back in the ground encapsulated in plastic (which did not come from the ground), & then they charge the owner of the asbestos (namely the poor sap who discoverd it in an old building he just bought) a storage fee for LIFE.

I picked up jagged chunks of glass from half a dozen broken beer bottles in the sand of a local river swim beach yesterday. I think it was a lot more likely to injure someone than any non breathable form of asbestos will ever be, don't you?

This just MY PERSONAL OPONION & it is not addressed to anyone in particular, so please do not be offended. Spotz

Actually, you're more likely to have problems with tetnus and hepetitus than anything. Myself, if there was a target there, I'd dig the target rebury the asbestos and walk on to the next signal. JMO

correct me if i am wrong,but isnt asbestos only harmfull when the particles get into the air? being buried like that doesnt seem like it would be much of a problem. now the lead on the other hand....that will leech into the ground and could contaminate the ground water depending on how much there is. but again.....if there are no wells around is it harmfull? i really dont know.

Yes ,asbestos is only harmful if stirred up and airborn,in the ground it is stable.How do you know for certain that it is asbestos?My 2 cents

great feedback guys, it is asbestos!im old enough to know what it looks like etc.around here they make parks out of old landfills etc but this spot i beleive was a house here at one time or other so lots of older willow trees etc 100 or more years old.i did find a brick about 4-5 inchs under next to a willow treee, that had been torn down by a storm and sawed up.it was an older hand made style of brick have found a few around town here now and again.itwas scraped up from a front loader used to hall away the tree refuse.im leaning to the fact that this spot was an old house that was dozzed over etc and back filled to make it a park.only a few mentions of lead their is a fire pit circle next to were i found the brick.first thing that went threw my mind was it was an old well that had been filled in.its concrete and very rough say about knee height looks like something a old steder/farmer would toss together, so ground water ? ne way i have plat maps of the area from 1840-1910 or so and a plat from 1987 also.so ill do some looking to see what this spot was and had on or near it so thanks all for the help!oh by the way how do i resize photos!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back