Sep 18, 2007
cambridge uk
Detector(s) used
whites spectrum xlt

Attachments

• IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    354.6 KB · Views: 629
My WAG....The first mark on the bottom looks like the London import mark post 1904 except upside down. If thats the case then I believe the "C" would date it to 1958.

Attachments

• londonimport.jpg
    londonimport.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 1,412
  • londates.jpg
    londates.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 313
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Good one Mackaydon. :thumbsup:
I found this-
http://tinyurl.com/23sfkk4

which lead me to this-

S Blanckensee & Sons Ltd was founded in Bristol in 1826. In September 1863 it moved to Great Charles Street, Birmingham and in September 1863 where its first mark was entered. It was SB&S for the partnership of Solomon and Abraham Solomon Blanckensee, trading as Blanckensee & Son, jewellers. Later the company also had premises in Great Hampton Street and Regent Place and in Hatton Garden. During the 20th century it absorbed several other firms, including Nathan & Hayes and the Albion Chain Co. After the Second World War they mered with E Podolsky

which came from here=http://www.silvercollection.it/ENGLISHSILVERMARKSXS.html

Now we know who made the case and band how about the works? you got a pic of them? Can you get the back cover off?

Upvote 0
Gee, my old family M.D. was Harold Podolsky, wonder if there ever was a connection?..........NGE

Upvote 0
thanks for the replys peeps :)
i had seen the sb&s ltd hallmark but thought it wasnt the same company but after seeing some of your replys it must be
anyway here a couple of pics of the watch inners there are no obvious markings other than the writing on the face which says 17 jewels there is another piece of text below but is unreadable as its very small and fouls on the watch case when assembled which has worn if away

again thx for your help !!!!!!

Attachments

• watch front.jpg
    watch front.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 321
  • watch.jpg
    watch.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 312
Upvote 0
diggummup said:
daroofa said:
I'd like to know if the first hallmark is this:
Looks to me like the same marking only upside down, look-

Right...I said the same thing in my first post in the thread. That's why I think it is an imported piece. SBS Ltd was probably the sponsor (importer). Also, the hallmark formatting isn't correct for an English made piece, but it is for an imported piece as evidenced by the picture I also showed in that post. I just wanted the poster to verify the first hallmark because the first photo showing it is a little fuzzy. Plus the word "foreign" must be on the face for a reason.

Upvote 0
daroofa said:
diggummup said:
daroofa said:

Right...I said the same thing in my first post in the thread. That's why I think it is an imported piece. SBS Ltd was probably the sponsor (importer). Also, the hallmark formatting isn't correct for an English made piece, but it is for an imported piece as evidenced by the picture I also showed in that post. I just wanted the poster to verify the first hallmark because the first photo showing it is a little fuzzy. Plus the word "foreign" must be on the face for a reason.
Agreed. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
diggummup said:
daroofa said:
diggummup said:
daroofa said:

Agreed. :thumbsup:

sorry if the pics aint that clear i took em on my phone , anyway from looking at it with the naked eye your spot on the hallmark is identical but upside down

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back