Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this at a colonial site. There is a cemetery nearby that goes back to the 1700's or before, however there is also a trail nearby that goes to the beach that is still used today, so this could be from any of those time periods.
It appears to be silver, no markings anywhere that I can see and is a double headed goose "S" on some kind of hanger thing. The overall length of it is 2 inches and at the widest part it is 1 3/4 inches. The loop where the "s" attaches looks old to me, but I am no expert. Any ideas on what it is and the age???
Thanks.

Attachments

• gooseS.jpg
    gooseS.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 302
  • gooseSa.jpg
    gooseSa.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 303
S-link belt buckle. Don't recall seeing the goose or swan's head pattern before. (It's usually snakes.) Interesting! I'll try to do some more checking.

Upvote 0
Thought it was one of these.

r11412.JPEG

Civil War era snake belt buckle. Popular with soldiers on both sides.

Never saw a goose before though...

DCMatt

Upvote 0
I would have to agree that it might be as late as the Civil War, as Matt notes. The plain, rectangular loop is a bit more typical of that period, too. However, I still have a hunch it's prewar. Regardless of the vintage, it's a heck of a nice find!

Upvote 0
PBK & Matt...thanks for that. It very well may be a snake, that is what I thought it was when I first found it, but after washing it off some I decided it looked more like a goose, but I wouldn;t rule out completely that is it a snake... ???

Upvote 0
I'm still thinking its a goose. But was there a later revival of this type of buckle? This seems to have remarkably little wear in the normal wear areas (pointed out below). But I'm hoping that its a rare/valuable deviation from the common pattern. :)

Attachments

• index27.php.jpg
    index27.php.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back