Silver Feather 🪶

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this 8 gram silver feather at a little thrift shop for $4. It's worth $8.85.

Also found this spoon...wasnt sure if it was silver but it was only 30 cents so risked it.
Google is just bringing up Danmark spoons with the DG & well as STERLING... while mine only has the DG mark.
I'm guessing its not then, but it looks and and sounds like silver when I lightly drop it on the counter. A nice ring to it. Has a slightly copper look, but not sure if that's just tarnish.
Any help? Thanks.

1000015987.jpg
1000015984.jpg
1000015985.jpg

Upvote 13
Like the feather. Is it marked?

Plated is more likely for the souvenir spoon, but it could still be silver without a purity mark. The Danish hallmarking system operates on a voluntary basis. The ‘DG’ mark arranged vertically in a coffin-like cartouche is for DanskGuldindustri of Randers in Central Denmark, from between 1948 – 1958. Certainly they used sterling silver, but I don’t know if they also made plated items.

I guess I am not to well informed.I would not have bought it

Like the feather. Is it marked?

Plated is more likely for the souvenir spoon, but it could still be silver without a purity mark. The Danish hallmarking system operates on a voluntary basis. The ‘DG’ mark arranged vertically in a coffin-like cartouche is for DanskGuldindustri of Randers in Central Denmark, from between 1948 – 1958. Certainly they used sterling silver, but I don’t know if they also made plated items.
Yes it's marked Sterling!

Ok. Yeah it's probably plated. Oh well. Thirty cent loss isn't that bad haha.

Nice find. At 8 grams you won't have to worry about it getting blown away like a feather in the wind.

When I zoom in on the spoon I can't get a clear image, but it looks to me like there might be glue residue near the square section on the handle? It seems to be missing an emblem/crest typical of souvenir spoons. In my experience, if the spoon has a crest that is held on with adhesive vs being a single cast piece, then it is normally plated/non-silver. However, I did find 1 over the years that was an exception. The spoon was sterling (marked), but the glued on crest wasn't. Hope this helps a little.

Ok. Yeah it's probably plated. Oh well. Thirty cent loss isn't that bad haha.

I think of it as not a loss in the grand scheme of things. You bet $4.30 in total on your trip and won $8.85. Beats the payout of the average lottery ticket.

Nice find. At 8 grams you won't have to worry about it getting blown away like a feather in the wind.

When I zoom in on the spoon I can't get a clear image, but it looks to me like there might be glue residue near the square section on the handle? It seems to be missing an emblem/crest typical of souvenir spoons. In my experience, if the spoon has a crest that is held on with adhesive vs being a single cast piece, then it is normally plated/non-silver. However, I did find 1 over the years that was an exception. The spoon was sterling (marked), but the glued on crest wasn't. Hope this helps a little.

I think of it as not a loss in the grand scheme of things. You bet $4.30 in total on your trip and won $8.85. Beats the payout of the average lottery ticket.
Haha good one!!

Interesting. OK. I thought as much but decided to take it home anyway just on case. Now I know. I paid 30 cents to learn more information...not waste. :) thanks for your comment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back