Jan 19, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign (original),
Fisher 1280-X, Garrett Master Hunter BFO,
Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. Red stinging ants too. I knew it was a shallow target since my Pro-Pointer gave a signal before digging.
I really didn't want to mess with those ants but since I had already popped 2 nice wheaties close by, I didn't
want to chance missing a good target. Slid in the trowel and turned over a clad quarter. They were MAD but
I collected the quarter and quickly covered 'em back up while managing to avoid a sting. Thirty minutes
later and 25 feet away was rewarded with another quarter....this time a 4-inch deep 1935 vintage. Unexpected
from this site (2 blocks from my house) but hey, silver is where you find it! This spot will definitely get more of
my attention. My first Ag for 2020!:thumbsup:.

Upvote 14
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!! Any pics?

I often dig zincolns and there are red ants around them... I actually think they eat them.

Happy Hunting,

Thanks guys. Yep, had to make sure I got all the ants off my trowel. The bed had all kinds of little white "ant eggs" in it too.
The quarter was a 2016 commemorative with Harper's Ferry West Virginia on the reverse.

Nice finds. congrats! :occasion14:

Yeah Washingtonian, a tough call. I was hunting below nickel disc. and thought about thumbing the dial up past pulltab.
Then, if the signal dropped out, I could have told myself "it's just trash...no need to dig in the ants". I didn't do that
and since the target was a quarter it would not have made any difference to my trusty Vaquero. Going back today maybe.
Dug more than a few "ring and tab" pulltabs as well as "footprint" tabs. plenty of pencil eraser tops (as they are aluminum)
too since the spot is across the street from an elementary school built in '27. Even found an old old brass protractor! Kind of
cool since they're all plastic now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back