damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found a guy selling one and I can have it for $200. I have never had a whites detector so is this a good machine? Also if I do decide to buy it is there any possible flaws/ concerns other than turning the machine on to look out for?

Excellent machine except on wet salt.

The coils can drift off tune over time but if everything appears to work O.K. it most likely is. Don't worry if the meter illumination doesn't work unless you really want to work in the dark. In this case its not a cheap bulb replacement its the whole VDI unit that has to be repaired.

If it still has the rechargable pack, check its not below the indicated level on the meter after a recharge.

The whole display should be clear and not breaking into stripes. Stripes are not right but can be as simple to fix as removing the ribbon from main board to meter and cleaning the connections. It can be as easy as just giving the connectors a SLIGHT tap with the handle of a screwdriver.

Check the square connectors on the battery pack for signs of pitting. The current can arc if the pack has been dropped into the detector rather than being gentle slid in. Again not a great problem as the cause is one of the two pins that you can see down in the bottom of the case having been bent slightly inward. You can hook the offending one up towards you (gently) and problem is solved.

Finish by the general coil test for any machine. Tap the coil gently, it should not sound off. Some movement of the coil cable should not cause the detector to sound off. Almost forgot. The trigger switch under the meter takes a lot of wear as its used for pinpointing. It should move forward and back but not waggle sideways. Again not the end of the world as its a replacement you can do yourself or Whites will do it cheaply. The meter can be prettied up by peeling off the surface film and replacing it. Cheap and you can do it yourself.

Best of luck

Brian about nailed it. Mine is about 13 years old with no problems. The only problems that I have heard about are the Indicator panel going out or displaying lines. The coil windings loose indicate when tapped can cause a problem also. The only thing I differ on is the back light. It is very handy in the woods. That price is dirt cheap! Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

Well I scooped this puppy up and I have been looking at all the customization you can do and I am blown away! Looks like a sweet machine and seems to be balanced very good! I will post some pictures in a little while.

Here she is, there is two battery packs and headphones too. Thanks for all the tips guys, the meter illumination works and the coil only has a few scratches no scuffs.

NICE BUY !!!!!!!!

Thanks! cant wait to start detecting with this thing!

If u can find an 8 in coil for it , it'll be a real coin killer. The 8 in coil requires a slower sweep than the 9.5,and pinpoints perfectly(very tight). if it gets squirrley reboot it by removeing the battery pack while it's on ,wait 30 seconds reinstall the battery pack & turn it back on. Lots of programs on various forums for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back