gun part1.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 588
  • gun part2.JPG
    gun part2.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 600
  • gun part3.JPG
    gun part3.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 587
Don't know if it's a magazine end-cap or not, but I think steel would be a better choice of material (cost, weight, strength) for such an application. Bronze, to me, suggests something marine related.

Upvote 0
remember guys, theres the remains of a spring inside thats pinned to the cap. the spring is pretty hefty. a quarter fits snugly in the hole.

Upvote 0
no, both. the inside of the cap is threaded. pinned inside the cap is also the remains of a spring.

Upvote 0
the spring seems to be welded in place. the flashlight theory seems plausible but it would then be one strong flashlight! the metal on this cap is thick!

Upvote 0
Could it be a grease cup? Machines used to have similar cups that you filled with grease, then turned down a half-turn at a time to grease the bearings. When a spring was present, it was to prevent the cup unscrewing by itself.

Chip V.

Upvote 0
grease cap is plausible. there is an old (early 1900's) 3 cylinder water pump thats built like a large steam engine onsite though about 150 feet away. got any ideas where to look on it? i could always go back and look the pump over and see if i find a place it fits. i detect the park regularly.

Upvote 0
its not a rivet. it looks like if the spring is fed through a hole in th cap and welded or brazed in place.

Upvote 0
It is the cap from an old grease cup. I have them on the bearings of my Hit& Miss engines. It would be filled with grease and turned in a round or so to lube the bearing. Tony

Upvote 0
Most likely place for a grease cup on a piston water pump would be where the main shaft enters / exits the pump. Or maybe you could find one still in place on the pump & compare it to what you dug.

Chip V.

Upvote 0
went yesterday and looked the pump over. no place brass cup thing to fit on. however, the pump needed an engine which isnt there anymore. maybe this went on the engine that drove the pump?!? at least i have a clue what it went on!

Upvote 0
It sure looks like it could be a type of grease cup cap. Thought it looked familiar from the old Woodmill my father had. They had various ways, leather washers, springs, to force the grease down an keep the cap from loosening off.

Here's a link to just one brands styles, the simpler ones are part way down the page, and some show the cutaway view. Check out the Tiger Plain Brass cap that had the soldered spring in the middle.

http://www.steamengine.com.au/misc/lubrication/grease-cups.html

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back