Short park hunt

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last night I got a friend of mine to join me. We warmed up first by going to a warehouse where the parking lot is about to be paved. We found nails and aluminum junk, and construction debris. I also found a stainless steel hoop earring, lying on the surface. We gave up after a half hour, and were thinking about somewhere else to go.

Then I thought: there is a park near my office I've never hunted, but drove by every day for the past couple years... Never hunted because the gang activity in that neighborhood is pretty vicious. I told him about it, and he said if we stuck together we shouldn't have a problem. So we worked out some hand signals and agreed to remain in each other's eyesight, and went to that park. The first few hundred feet had me thinking the park had been hunted out long ago-- there were very few targets.

Further away I started getting signals, but it was already late and started getting dark fast, so we didn't stay long-- only about a half hour hunt. All in all, my friend found $.75 (current coin) and a key.

I only dug 5 coins-- a crusty zinc penny (damaged by a mower), 2 other pennies, and two dimes. One of the pennies is a wheatie (on the left) and both dimes are silver... good indications of the potential of this park!

Upvote 0
Even in L.A. you got to do the research. It seems to me that there would be tons of places to go. Lost of older neighborhoods, vacant lots where old houses used to be and tons of small parks. A good old map would help significantly. I wouldn't worry about the gang activity, just attach a taser to the end of you MD with a button at the handle of your MD and carry a little can of pepper spray. Then you should be able to go anywhere. lol

You've probably seen this park-- trees, green grass. There might even be a sandbox, and maybe some picnic benches. You know the one, right near the road-- can't miss it! Sorry, Blazen70, if I don't give any more details-- ask me again in about 5 years! :lol:

And I hear pepper spray just makes 'em madder! But a Tazer, hmmmm. You gotta carry one for each gang member; once you use it, you're done, and it doesn't help much if you're grossly out-numbered! Maybe you're thinking of a cattle-prod?

About one person in ten is unaffected by pepper spray,however Capstun(sp?) is another story. That is not a compound one wants to run afoul of. Fred

Maybe Vibraprobe could add a little juice to their product and an extra "emergency" button on it. Then it could be called a real Probe.

Hmmm... maybe I have 'Tazer' confused with 'Stun Gun'. I'll check it out on Ebay! I prefer not to use those sprays anyway-- in the heat of battle I'll probably have the nozzle pointed at myself! :lol:

Lab Rat,
Just wear that gold chain you found. They'll just think you are another gangster with a metal detector. If they get to close, you can take it off and beat them with it! twisted

bump up to revise?

Cool finds!!Good luck with the rest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back