: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week, a team of divers recovered a massive treasure from a 350-year old shipwreck in the Bahamas. Whilst previous teams of treasure hunters have scoured the wreckage for centuries, this expedition is the first scientific survey, and actually licensed by the Bahamian Government. The recovered treasure is currently being displayed in the just recently opened Bahamas Maritime Museum.

This ship was called the Nuestra Señora de las Maravillas. In English, that means, "our lady of wonders".

The recovery of a 350-year-old shipwreck in the Bahamas has unveiled a captivating tale of the Maravillas, a Spanish treasure galleon lost in the treacherous waters. This scientific expedition, officially sanctioned by the Bahamian government, marks a departure from centuries of opportunistic treasure hunting.

Built in 1647, the Maravillas was no ordinary vessel, boasting two decks, 36 bronze cannons, and a devotional oil painting on its stern. Laden with New World treasures, it was part of Spain's annual fleet. The recent findings, meticulously documented by the Allen Exploration team after being granted a survey license by the Government of the Bahamas, offer a glimpse into 17th-century Spain.

From silver coins to Chinese porcelain, the artifacts reflect the cultural and trade connections of the time. Notably, a two-pound, six-foot golden chain, potentially worn by King Philip IV, hints at the wealth aboard. Allen Explorations’ commitment to display these treasures in the Bahamas Maritime Museum underscores a shift away from the questionable practices of previous treasure hunters. The Maravillas' saga, from wreck to recovery, resonates as a testament to both historical exploration and the ongoing preservation of maritime heritage.

Reactions: ARC
Pummeled and Pulverized, But Not All Was Lost
Spanish records state that “The Wonder” sank in January 1656 AD and that by July 1658 AD the wreck was almost entirely covered with sand. According to a report in The Guardian the “majority of its treasure – an estimated 3.5 million pieces of eight” was salvaged between 1656 AD and the early 1990s.

Allen explained that treasure hunter Robert Marx “heavily” salvaged the shipwreck in 1972, and it was again given a good “pummeling” in 1986 by Herbert Humphreys. Until now, historians generally agreed that the wreck had been all but lost, or “pulverized.” Allen’s recent treasure recovery operations, however, uncovered a hoard of hitherto untouched treasures from the Wonder ship.

Three thick gold chains are encrusted with precious stones, heaps of gold coins and four golden pendants were all recovered from the shipwreck. One gold filigree chain was found to weigh a reported 887 grams (1.95 lbs) and comprises “80 alternating circular flat and tubular links, decorated with four-lobed rosette motifs.” It is suspected that this chain was crafted by Chinese craftsmen in the Philippines and then exported to Spain on the Manila galleon via Mexico.

This was just on a week ago:

This was just on a week ago:

Correct., hence that is why I started my first sentince with the words: "Last week".

This wreck is not "new news" it was found in the early 90's... and has been part of Bahamian historical scene since.
This wreck also was carrying treasure salvaged from another wreck... so that treasure was double cursed.
AGAIN, already noted in posts! Does anyone READ what is posted anymore? News discoveries everyday also. Permitted work by Bahamas. READ.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Good read. Surprised Bart didn’t get it lol
My friend Dan porter and his rig the "sea reaper" are doing all the recovery work....they are MRR marine research and recovery....Google them....they are working with Carl Allen in the recovery effort. Carl owns walker cay, and is an avid fisherman also !! I met Dan when he was building the sea reaper in key west !! Later I ran into him again at ft. Pierce.....he was getting gold that day.
photo-907.JPG

Pummeled and Pulverized, But Not All Was Lost
Spanish records state that “The Wonder” sank in January 1656 AD and that by July 1658 AD the wreck was almost entirely covered with sand. According to a report in The Guardian the “majority of its treasure – an estimated 3.5 million pieces of eight” was salvaged between 1656 AD and the early 1990s.

Allen explained that treasure hunter Robert Marx “heavily” salvaged the shipwreck in 1972, and it was again given a good “pummeling” in 1986 by Herbert Humphreys. Until now, historians generally agreed that the wreck had been all but lost, or “pulverized.” Allen’s recent treasure recovery operations, however, uncovered a hoard of hitherto untouched treasures from the Wonder ship.

Dan is a pit bull of a treasure hunter....he is a master at blowing holes, with just the right amount of throttle for each condition....he's able to track the faintest of shipwreck trails from years of working the 1622, and 1715 fleets.....those hunts and the experience he has gained from them put him in the upper echelon of underwater explorers. He's the perfect match for the maravillea !! I should probably reach out and beg a little to be involved somehow 😂🤣 the thought has crossed my mind !! Unofficially I here a rumor that there is a million dollar bounty on the gold mother of Mary statue rumored to still be at large on the site. The first diver to find it will recieve the million dollar reward. I stress that is just a rumor I herd.....but I think if my history is right.....there was a 400 pound solid gold statue of Mother of Mary and child on board ??

Bart, you should reach out.... Long going exploration with full financial backing. All public with no secrets. Full resources. What else could you ask for?? Do share on Tnet from time to time if you except. - regards

Expedition Unknown Season 12 Episode 6 Sunken Treasure of the Bahamas Aired December 20 2023 on Discovery​

p11308404_b_v13_bp-scaled.jpg
Season 12 Episode 6, titled “Sunken Treasure of the Bahamas,” promises to be a thrilling exploration of the legendary Spanish galleon Maravillas.
In this episode, Josh Gates leads a team armed with cutting-edge technology and a fleet of boats into the depths of the Caribbean. Their mission? To recover the most substantial hoard of lost treasure in the Americas. Viewers can expect a riveting journey as the team dives into the ocean’s abyss, uncovering centuries-old coins and jewels from the sunken Maravillas.
“Expedition Unknown” continues to deliver high-stakes quests and fascinating historical revelations, and this episode is no exception. Join Josh and his crew as they unearth the secrets of the deep, bringing the sunken treasure of the Bahamas to the surface in a tale of mystery and discovery.

Expedition Unknown Season 12 Episode 6 Sunken Treasure of the Bahamas Aired December 20 2023 on Discovery​

p11308404_b_v13_bp-scaled.jpg
Season 12 Episode 6, titled “Sunken Treasure of the Bahamas,” promises to be a thrilling exploration of the legendary Spanish galleon Maravillas.
In this episode, Josh Gates leads a team armed with cutting-edge technology and a fleet of boats into the depths of the Caribbean. Their mission? To recover the most substantial hoard of lost treasure in the Americas. Viewers can expect a riveting journey as the team dives into the ocean’s abyss, uncovering centuries-old coins and jewels from the sunken Maravillas.
“Expedition Unknown” continues to deliver high-stakes quests and fascinating historical revelations, and this episode is no exception. Join Josh and his crew as they unearth the secrets of the deep, bringing the sunken treasure of the Bahamas to the surface in a tale of mystery and discovery.
Watched it last night. Great show.

Post deleted.... was directed to anyone who thought it was "new news"... which is how it came across.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back