several "unknowns"

dirtfisher1127

Aug 8, 2011
several "unknowns"

You guys and gals have been so awesome in identifying my "don't know what it is, but it's a nice one!" whatsits that I thought I would run a few more by you for I.D.'s. Thanks so much for looking, and for all your help!
p.s.--all of the following items are brass and were found around old antebellum housesites in Virginia.

*****Correction--the hammer or hasp item is IRON, not brass--sorry!

Attachments

• Fastener 1.JPG
    Fastener 1.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 419
  • Triad 2.JPG
    Triad 2.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 735
  • Triad 1.JPG
    Triad 1.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 664
  • Lady 2.JPG
    Lady 2.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 660
  • Lady 1.JPG
    Lady 1.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 551
  • Half Latch 2.JPG
    Half Latch 2.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 475
  • Half Latch 1.JPG
    Half Latch 1.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 424
  • Hinge 2.JPG
    Hinge 2.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 413
  • Hinge 1.JPG
    Hinge 1.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 399
  • Fuse 2.JPG
    Fuse 2.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 425
  • Fuse 1.JPG
    Fuse 1.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 425
  • Fastener 2.JPG
    Fastener 2.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 416
Re: several "unknowns"

The top two photos look like they might be a sash buckle? The second two look like an artillery shell fuse holder, that screwed into the explosive shell, then the wooden time fuse was pounded into that, sawed off at the mark showing the seconds before the shell would exploded, then loaded into the gun with the fuse pointing out the barrel, then when fired the fire came around the ball, lighting the fuse, which supposedly blew the shell up when they wanted. That probably worked well, they managed to kill and cripple a lot of people. The third two are in fact the lower part or the hammer for a flintlock musket, rifle, or pistol. There was an opposing piece on the flat top part that created a moveable jaw that would screw down and clamp the flint tightly between the jaws. In those days it wasn't called the "hammer," it was called the "cock." The hammer drops, causing the flint to strike the frizzen, in those days called the "hammer," raining a shower of sparks into the "pan," which held the priming powder, which ignited, flashing through the "vent," igniting the charge and the gun fired. Sounds crazy, but it was very efficient. The rest of the photos I don't have any idea.

Upvote 0

taz42o said:
Third item is a hammer for a flintlock gun, fourth item is a journal bearing.

Although this sure resembles a hammer, I think it is a hasp, like you would see on a cabinet or window. :dontknow:

H_S

Upvote 0

BosnMate said:
The top two photos look like they might be a sash buckle? The second two look like an artillery shell fuse holder, that screwed into the explosive shell, then the wooden time fuse was pounded into that, sawed off at the mark showing the seconds before the shell would exploded, then loaded into the gun with the fuse pointing out the barrel, then when fired the fire came around the ball, lighting the fuse, which supposedly blew the shell up when they wanted. That probably worked well, they managed to kill and cripple a lot of people. The third two are in fact the lower part or the hammer for a flintlock musket, rifle, or pistol. There was an opposing piece on the flat top part that created a moveable jaw that would screw down and clamp the flint tightly between the jaws. In those days it wasn't called the "hammer," it was called the "cock." The hammer drops, causing the flint to strike the frizzen, in those days called the "hammer," raining a shower of sparks into the "pan," which held the priming powder, which ignited, flashing through the "vent," igniting the charge and the gun fired. Sounds crazy, but it was very efficient. The rest of the photos I don't have any idea.

Wow BosnMate!--you KNOW some stuff! I would like to nominate you for our next President! Thanks so much for all the great information! Jack.

Upvote 0

taz42o said:

Thanks so much---I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with a "journal bearing".

Upvote 0

Havilah_Springs said:
taz42o said:

Although this sure resembles a hammer, I think it is a hasp, like you would see on a cabinet or window. :dontknow:

H_S
Thanks for the different perspective, H_S!

Upvote 0

I have a feeling that the first item is the business end of a branding iron.

Upvote 0

journal bearing
A journal bearing, simply stated, is a cylinder which surrounds the shaft and is filled with some form of fluid lubricant. In this bearing a fluid is the medium that supports the shaft preventing metal to metal contact. The most common fluid used is oil, with special applications using water or a gas. This application note will concentrate on oil lubricated journal bearings.

see this site http://www.reliabilitydirect.com/appnotes/jb.html

cheers

Upvote 0

Gecko said:
journal bearing
A journal bearing, simply stated, is a cylinder which surrounds the shaft and is filled with some form of fluid lubricant. In this bearing a fluid is the medium that supports the shaft preventing metal to metal contact. The most common fluid used is oil, with special applications using water or a gas. This application note will concentrate on oil lubricated journal bearings.

see this site http://www.reliabilitydirect.com/appnotes/jb.html

cheers

Thanks so much, Gecko....so I guess it could have come off of any one of a number of machines or equipment?

Upvote 0

Dirtfisher, the second object is definitely not an artillery fuze, nor a fuze for any other kind of explosive device. it is a valve-body ...possibly an antique tire air valve ...but there are many-many forms of air valves, natural-gas valves, and fluid valves.

The third object is definitely a hammer from a Flintlock musket or pistol. I'm certain about that because your photo of it shows the (broken-off) screw-pin which held the hammer's missing top-piece. The remnant of the screw-pin is visible above the hammer's curved "arm," on the underside of the flint-holding lower jaw. For confirmation, you can view that assembly in this photo of a complete Flintlock hammer, although it's shape is slightly different from the one you found.

Attachments

• gunpart_flintlock-with-flint_cwp_cp_614.jpg
    gunpart_flintlock-with-flint_cwp_cp_614.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 233
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy said:
Dirtfisher, the second object is definitely not an artillery fuze, nor a fuze for any other kind of explosive device. it is a valve-body ...possibly an antique tire air valve ...but there are many-many forms of air valves, natural-gas valves, and fluid valves.

The third object is definitely a hammer from a Flintlock musket or pistol. I'm certain about that because your photo of it shows the (broken-off) screw-pin which held the hammer's missing top-piece. The remnant of the screw-pin is visible above the hammer's curved "arm," on the underside of the flint-holding lower jaw. For confirmation, you can view that assembly in this photo of a complete Flintlock hammer, although it's shape is slightly different from the one you found.
Thanks so much--great info! Jack.

Upvote 0

The fourth item appears quite similar to the brass nose cap from a rifle or musket, 19th century. The gun barrel would fit in the half circle shape and the cap was attached with a screw. A nose cap was directly in front of the wood forestock. However, at 2.5 inches width for this particular "nose cap", would make this one very massive musket! :laughing7:

CC Hunter

Attachments

• RifleNoseCap.jpg
    RifleNoseCap.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 697
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy said:

I really appreciate the info. CannonballGuy!

Upvote 0

CC Hunter said:
The fourth item appears quite similar to the brass nose cap from a rifle or musket, 19th century. The gun barrel would fit in the half circle shape and the cap was attached with a screw. A nose cap was directly in front of the wood forestock. However, at 2.5 inches width for this particular "nose cap", would make this one very massive musket! :laughing7:

CC Hunter

Thanks, CC Hunter....I, too, believe this is too large and heavy for a nose cap--it measures about 2 1/2" long by 2 3/4" wide and weighs a little over a pound! Appreciate your help! J.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back