Seeking information on Maryland shipwreck...

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Years ago (1978-81) while walking thru a Florida flea market, I encountered a vendor/diver who sold me a cannonball and a few cuff-size flat buttons. He claimed he dove on a merchant wreck, circa 1820 and possibly English, which sank just outside an Inlet in Maryland. Much of the cargo they found were kegs, and disintegrated kegs of English-made flat buttons. He said he had a newspaper clipping about the wreck and I said I'd purchase $20 worth of flat buttons from that wreck the following week if he would get me a copy of that article. Sure enough he did and I placed it in the back of a rikker case of these buttons. Recently, I was talking with someone regarding this wreck and could not remember the name of the vessel. The button case is packed away and someone out their may remember the story and wreck name. I'm hoping some follow up material is available on the internet regarding the overall survey... Thank You.

Last edited:
If you go to this document:

http://mht.maryland.gov/documents/PDF/Archeology_MMAP_OceanCity_Survey_DNR.pdf

you will find a lot of information about wrecks in Maryland. At page 49, it lists all known wrecks in the area. However, there isn't one that matches the description you have given. Not an English ship, at least.

This is an excellent start. Just brushing over the survey makes me want to seek out the information I have stored about that wreck. If I ever find it, will certainly post a followup. I beieve it was referred to back then as the button wreck. Much appreciated.. Thank You.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back