second time out, found two spoons and a bullet. the teaspoon is 1950's, German; but don't know anything about the table spoon. found in san antonio

MrMark

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2023

Attachments

• 339287836_772361854146947_7587654716453147851_n.jpg
    339287836_772361854146947_7587654716453147851_n.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 339306783_1351909378703975_422888534906750964_n.jpg
    339306783_1351909378703975_422888534906750964_n.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 10
LOL! It is the thrill of the chase for many of us; like the moment before a child unwraps a gift. What did I get!?
Every time my detector beeps, I have that moment, “could be anything!!!”
The smaller spoon is very ornate. What does the back of the spine say? I can’t quite make it out. Thanks for showing it! We have people on this site that are true silverware experts. You’ll get more info.

LOL! It is the thrill of the chase for many of us; like the moment before a child unwraps a gift. What did I get!?
Every time my detector beeps, I have that moment, “could be anything!!!”
The smaller spoon is very ornate. What does the back of the spine say? I can’t quite make it out. Thanks for showing it! We have people on this site that are true silverware experts. You’ll get more info.
back of smaller spoon - ANTIKO 100 (100 = silver plated)

Welcome to Tnet.

The ‘ANTIKO’ mark on the smaller spoon is derived from the words ANTIquität (meaning “antique” in German) and the name KOhlbecker. It’s the trade mark used by the Kohlbecker Silberwarenfabrik, established in Pforzheim in 1946 by Heinz Kohlbecker just after the war ended, but today in Birkenfeld, Germany. First use of that mark seems to have been in 1959

The accompanying ‘100’ mark indicates it to be silver plate at the upper end of the quality range and usually found on the earlier items . It’s an indirect measure of plate thickness, expressed as the weight of silver in grammes deposited on a ‘standard plate lot’ of 12 forks and 12 spoons in the electro-plating bath. Standard quality would be marked ‘90’ and the quality usually ranges between 40 and 150.

The larger spoon is to the same quality. I can’t read the initials within the crown, but the crown style itself looks more like those used in Sweden rather than Germany. If you can say what the initials are, that may help track it down.

Welcome to Tnet.

The ‘ANTIKO’ mark on the smaller spoon is derived from the words ANTIquität (meaning “antique” in German) and the name KOhlbecker. It’s the trade mark used by the Kohlbecker Silberwarenfabrik, established in Pforzheim in 1946 by Heinz Kohlbecker just after the war ended, but today in Birkenfeld, Germany. First use of that mark seems to have been in 1959

The accompanying ‘100’ mark indicates it to be silver plate at the upper end of the quality range and usually found on the earlier items . It’s an indirect measure of plate thickness, expressed as the weight of silver in grammes deposited on a ‘standard plate lot’ of 12 forks and 12 spoons in the electro-plating bath. Standard quality would be marked ‘90’ and the quality usually ranges between 40 and 150.

The larger spoon is to the same quality. I can’t read the initials within the crown, but the crown style itself looks more like those used in Sweden rather than Germany. If you can say what the initials are, that may help track it down.
inside the crown is either 5B5 or 585. (i had to learn how to telescope my reading glasses). and thank you so much for your info.

Last edited:
i didn't mean to post twice. and, i decided the other post was not very interesting, other than to disclose a dumpsite that someone really should clean up

inside the crown is either 5B5 or 585. (i had to learn how to telescope my reading glasses). and thank you so much for your info.

You're welcome. Sorry but that mark doesn't ring any bells for me. I would quite like to see a good close-up of it if that's possible. No disrespect meant but, sometimes what folks think they can see on indistinct stamps isn't always what the marks actually are.

It just dawned on me.... I think it will say 'SBS', which is a German company based in Solingen. The word "Bestecke" on their literature in the first picture means "cutlery" in German. They're famed for high quality gold-plated cutlery, now made with a stainless steel base, but also silverplate on other base metals in the earlier part of their history (post-war).

SBS1.jpg SBS2.jpg SBS3.jpg

Thank you. Your info and this forum adds to the whole experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back