95 KB · Views: 425
  • Shards.JPG
    Shards.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 430
  • stone1.JPG
    stone1.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 427
Upvote 0
Oh, by the way we found about 100 shards on our first hunt. They started picking the tobacco so we hope to find more. We believe this site has been rarely hunted. Thanks......Brep

Well looking at all the spalls, you definetly have a site. You'll prolly find more blades/knives than points, looking at the pile of spalls & flakes. These are an indication the rhyolite was brought in from another area & blades, points were actually knapped on your site.
I too found lots of spalls but more so blades/knives,preforms,about 30 in total this year. I'll be surprised you don't find caches of blades.
Looks very promising, I'm excited for you, Good Luck. Let us know how things go. Also check surrounding fields too, I found not only was there points/blades on the campsite but surrounding fields too.

Molly.

Btw the centre grey point under the coin is a Morrow Mt type 2. I'd have to see more to put an id on the stemmed points.

Molly.

Thanks again Molly!!! Any idea on the large worked stone? The picture does not show all the detail or color. Do you know what it could be or what type of material? Thanks again for the input....Brep

Yes Brep its green Rhyolite. All the pile of Flakes/spalls are Rhyolite hon.

Way to go sure theres some killers waiting to be found...

PALEOMAN said:
i dont know the area u hunt so how far away from these finds was the rhyolite quarried?

I'm in NC too, the Rhyolite was brought here from Morrow Mountain. As there's not much in the way of good knapping materials. The Quartz was brought in from a quarry, very difficult to knapp though. Rhyolite being the prefered choice.
Also there are many different types, some very rough looking, some very smooth, rather like chert. The best part is its very easy to find, it comes in lime green,black,peach,blue,purple,grey, easy to spot against the red soil.

Molly.

thank you molly! evidently in your area there is a wide source of materials "fairly close at hand". out here on the plains the quarries are a bit spread apart.

PALEOMAN said:
thank you molly! evidently in your area there is a wide source of materials "fairly close at hand". out here on the plains the quarries are a bit spread apart.

It's not a bad place for materials, I also find slate (banded),Chalcedony,Flint & Rose & yellow quartz. At the end of the day, I'm just very greatful I have a campsite to hunt on. I know it's frustrating for some ppl who can't find any ay all.
I do try to share where possible.

Molly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back