Bad Knees Bob

Jun 1, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Beach Hunter 300, Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone.
I found my first seated dime, an 1882, in a yard that a couple of my relatives and I have hunted many times. The house dates back to 1860 and was built on Indian land. A overland trail/stagecoach route ran through the front yard at that time.
Many good finds were found over the years and each time I go there I slow down my swing as targets are now few and far in between.
My first find was the 1912 wheat which actually rang up solid. A few minutes later and about 5’ away I had a very faint and iffy chirp. The chirp was a quick high tone which usually is a coin on my detector. I kept going over the target area and am glad I decided to dig. The dime was about 9”-10” down and at that time, I didn’t know that it was seated because the sun was going down and I didn’t have my readers on. I was expecting it to be at least a Barber but was ecstatic when I got inside and realized it was seated. It also appears that someone “notched” six slits on each side of the coin.
Right after digging the seated dime, I dug up what I thought might have been a foreign coin or at least a US coin that was dirty. I was confident it was old because it was also about 8”-9” in the ground. After looking at the dime, I realized that the unknown “coin” was actually 2 “coins”
IMG_1405.jpeg
IMG_1403.jpeg
IMG_1402.jpeg
IMG_1393.jpeg
IMG_1395.jpeg
stuck together. I got them apart but have yet to see any indications that they are coins. They are the exact same diameter as a quarter. Maybe they were used as some type of trade tokens back in the day ?

Upvote 25
Hello everyone.
I found my first seated dime, an 1882, in a yard that a couple of my relatives and I have hunted many times. The house dates back to 1860 and was built on Indian land. A overland trail/stagecoach route ran through the front yard at that time.
Many good finds were found over the years and each time I go there I slow down my swing as targets are now few and far in between.
My first find was the 1912 wheat which actually rang up solid. A few minutes later and about 5’ away I had a very faint and iffy chirp. The chirp was a quick high tone which usually is a coin on my detector. I kept going over the target area and am glad I decided to dig. The dime was about 9”-10” down and at that time, I didn’t know that it was seated because the sun was going down and I didn’t have my readers on. I was expecting it to be at least a Barber but was ecstatic when I got inside and realized it was seated. It also appears that someone “notched” six slits on each side of the coin.
Right after digging the seated dime, I dug up what I thought might have been a foreign coin or at least a US coin that was dirty. I was confident it was old because it was also about 8”-9” in the ground. After looking at the dime, I realized that the unknown “coin” was actually 2 “coins” View attachment 2160496View attachment 2160497View attachment 2160498View attachment 2160499View attachment 2160500stuck together. I got them apart but have yet to see any indications that they are coins. They are the exact same diameter as a quarter. Maybe they were used as some type of trade tokens back in the day ?
love that seated, wtg!! still trying to swing over my 1st.

Very well done on recovering that seated dime...especially at that depth. I'm super curious about the two coins stuck together. If you are able to clean them up some more, I'd love to see some more pictures. Cheers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back