seal?

Viminacium

Mar 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Caesar II prototype, minelab xplorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it on Roman site... I think it is seal of some sort. Can someone read this letters? DSCF0270.JPGDSCF0272.JPGDSCF0267.JPG

Nice seal :thumbsup: although the letters do look old, especially as some of the letters look blunderd or backwards, that style of seal dates much later...1600's Nice find though :thumbsup:

SS

Upvote 0
I i think its older than 1600s. That must be greek letters on it.

Upvote 0
Viminacium,

What a super find, congratulations. I reversed the lettering (as if it was a seal and meant to be pressed into wax, ) and tried running the two words through a Greek lexicon to English translator. The closest intelligible translation that I discovered was this, "chris" over "tian"....Christian.

If this is even close I would be amazed! Maybe our Greek scholars on the forum can help us out. Happy hunting, Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not much up on Greek writing, but this is the way I read it..

1 Delta
2 Iota
3 Kappa
4 Rho
5 Chi
6 Alpha
7 Kappa
8 Iota
9 Tau

DIKRC AKIT

SS

Upvote 0
@Subterranean: interesting...

@Silver Searcher: and what would DIKRC AKIT mean...

Could it be Slavic? It is found in Serbia, Europe..

Upvote 0
@Subterranean: interesting...

@Silver Searcher: and what would DIKRC AKIT mean...

Could it be Slavic? It is found in Serbia, Europe..
I really have no idea, it's just the way I read it from Greek Script :dontknow:

SS

Upvote 0
I agree that style looks 17th C, maybe a little into the 18th.

Upvote 0
Than explain why... even if it looks new letters are older than 14 century for sure. Greek or
slavic (3rd bc-14 ad)

If theres someone from Greece here he can read this probably...

Upvote 0
Viminacium,

What a super find, congratulations. I reversed the lettering (as if it was a seal and meant to be pressed into wax, ) and tried running the two words through a Greek lexicon to English translator. The closest intelligible translation that I discovered was this, "chris" over "tian"....Christian.

If this is even close I would be amazed! Maybe our Greek scholars on the forum can help us out. Happy hunting, Sub

Yes I see what you are seeing with the Christ reference - here it is reversed w/ some info.

I really don't know what it is supposed to mean - But I agree it is a super cool find Viminacium!

Attachments

• greekseal2.jpg
    greekseal2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 0
Well yes this is definitely a seal. The form was used throughout the byzantine era and later by the otomans as one can see by similar finds.

Lead Byzantine and Bronze Islam Seals 7,10g /1006/ | eBay
http://www.ancientresource.com/images/islamic/ottoman_empire/ottoman-stamp-032.jpg

As it was found on a roman site it must be either from the first years romans embraced the christian religion or byzantine.
The writing is ΧΡΣ ΙΟ(υ) ΤΙΚΑ, ΧΡΣ meaning as already writen "ΧΡιΣτός" that is "Christ". But the byzantines used abbreviations of all sorts and I cannot explain you what this could mean...

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
I wonder what could TIKA mean...

Upvote 0
Than explain why... even if it looks new letters are older than 14 century for sure. Greek or
slavic (3rd bc-14 ad)

If theres someone from Greece here he can read this probably...

I explained why, its the 'style' or 'form' of seals produced mostly in the 17th C. Now maybe this is a British/Western style, not sure.

'Letters' can be added to old blank seals later or they can use older letters on newer seals, in itself it tells you very little.

Looking in my seal book, it states that 'the conical chessmen' gained popularity in the later part of the Byzantine 11-13th C. Yours looks nothing like the conical type, so its either later or my 2008 book needs updating to include this type. (prior to this most documents were sealed with Lead, as I'm sure you know)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you

Upvote 0
I explained why, its the 'style' or 'form' of seals produced mostly in the 17th C. Now maybe this is a British/Western style, not sure.

'Letters' can be added to old blank seals later or they can use older letters on newer seals, in itself it tells you very little.

Looking in my seal book, it states that 'the conical chessmen' gained popularity in the later part of the Byzantine 11-13th C. Yours looks nothing like the conical type, so its either later or my 2008 book needs updating to include this type. (prior to this most documents were sealed with Lead, as I'm sure you know)

I'm no seal expert and yes we still use the same letters here in Greece as did our ancient forefathers B.C. so I really have no own oppinion on the age.

Viminacium TIKA (or ΙΟυΤΙΚΑ) may be an abbrevation for the place of origin. Any places this is reminding you of? A monastery maybe?

Upvote 0
I'm no seal expert and yes we still use the same letters here in Greece as did our ancient forefathers B.C. so I really have no own oppinion on the age.

Viminacium TIKA (or ΙΟυΤΙΚΑ) may be an abbrevation for the place of origin. Any places this is reminding you of? A monastery maybe?
That's not what you said in your earler post :icon_scratch: Quote.. As it was found on a roman site it must be either from the first years romans embraced the christian religion or byzantine.
Most Roman seals were either Ring Seals or Carried in boxes, this was susspended, in the style of much later seals.

SS

Upvote 0
Does that means something on greek... xpiotika? oe ekspeiotika?

Upvote 0
That's not what you said in your earler post :icon_scratch: Quote.. As it was found on a roman site it must be either from the first years romans embraced the christian religion or byzantine. SS

You are correct, this was written with too much confidence... it came out completely wrong.

Should have written "IF it's roman it must be either from the first years romans embraced the christian religion or byzantine".

Don't want to pretend to know more than I do...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back