Scraper?

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
This piece is out of my recent debitage finds. A friend insists that it is s thumb scraper. I see why he thinks that, but I still think it’s a flake.
The edge looks more like natural chipping to me. Won’t really matter, as I don’t sell any and I’ll keep it either way. If you have a strong opinion please let me know “yea or nay”. 👍🏼

Attachments

• IMG_2175.jpeg
    IMG_2175.jpeg
    504 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2174.jpeg
    IMG_2174.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 31
Upvote 1
you’ll likely never have a definitive answer on something like that, only way to know would be to find signs orf use wear with a microscope.

it wouldn't be very useful

I can see why he thinks that with the kind of rounded edge and maybe some finer work but the other face doesn’t seem to show any work on the edge, and seems like the wrong geometry for a uniface tool. It doesn’t feel right for a scraper to me.

I
I can see why he thinks that with the kind of rounded edge and maybe some finer work but the other face doesn’t seem to show any work on the edge, and seems like the wrong geometry for a uniface tool. It doesn’t feel right for a scraper to me.
I agree. He also told me that his dad found a 2-faced stone axe years ago. Claims it is a sight to see. He’s supposed to send me a picture. I’ll post it when he does. From western Illinois.

I agree with the other comments. Not the typical edge that one would find on a thumb scraper. Although rounded, its scrapping edge is clearly not beveled. Some might say that the 'edgework' looks to be caused by creek chatter.

Agree with others, edge chips appear to be random like creek chatter, nothing in pictures posted says artifact to me.

IMO maybe at most a piece of debitage, but doesn't appear to have been worked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back