Scraper type Indian Tool

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
Ok! here it is the tool I found down around at Hat Field. ;)

Scrapertool2.jpg

Upvote 0
Side edge picture.
I used a regular sized office envelope for you to see the size of this item.

Sideedgeoftool.jpg

Hi Ghost:

If you stand back a little you might get a better picture. I can't tell if it shows signs of being worked or not although it looks like it may have an edge and some pits in it. In another thread you stated that it was very "weathered". Do you mean that it is worn to the point that there are no signs of being worked???? It has a good shape to it but again, it's hard to see any sign of working. Have a good one.
Deepsix

Okay, now not to be mean or negative BUT I see nothing about this that would indicate to me that the piece has ever been touched by another human. There's no flaking or signs of grinding.

I'll offer you a deal, have it sent in to one of the well known places to have it authenticated - if it comes back as an artifact of any kind I'll pay the fee, if it comes back as a rock.. you pay the fee.

I spoke with a Friend who is Indian and another friend also..It is warn down from being in the water...the napping is very warn but both sides are about the same.She said it was probably used for a scraper like for corn or possibly hide.I found it stuck between two boulders..the edge was in the sand.Thats all I know of finding it.They did say it was not done by weathering and was made by hand and is very old.
The lady who told me this is a regular writer for the Marshfiled News Harold Mrs.Lindow,her husband is Jeff and is a Archaeologist and Napper expert and is a historical/Archaeologist technical Teacher at Mid State Tech in Marshfield.Both have been in the news and on radio for all sorts of interesting information. Just some information about my confider's.Just to let you know.

I will go with that!..Relitively speaking and NOTE!!this it's not about you! I know what your thinking!!!I had enough with the who's right, wrong, stupid,know it all , etc ect...I don't like those (Who is smarter wars) either..THEY SUCK!We know what I mean! :-[ ::)
It does not matter anyway, because it still old, what ever it is.I will take it to the Tech School or even that new Indian Museum they are going to build in Wausau,WI that would be the closest places I know.
Thanks Cannoman and Deepsix, ;D

Here is a cool place to look at Indian Tools and If you go down to the #(T007 )picture
I found a rock of the exact same thing and almost the same size too.Color matches pretty close also.
By the way check the one for #(T023 ) Kind of looks like mine above and the edges look warn... also not like the others where the napping is very evident.

http://www.webdyer.com/artifacts_fossils/tools.htm

It's a rock ghost- just another rock. Send it in to Tom Davis to get it authenticated- if it comes back as anything other than JUST A ROCK I will pay you double what it costs to have it done and give you a public apology. This should be easy money for you! Just ask your professional archaeologist guy. Send it in... if your "expert" friend is wrong then you owe me nothing but an apology..

Hey Ghost..

Gotta agree with the Cannonman on this one. That type of stone...at least what it appears from the photo doesn't lend itself well to knapping at all, and doesn't appear to have been ground or used for any particular purpose. I checked out your website...most of what was listed there was ground stone...mano matate type stones which the one you posted isn't.

Here is a photo of a chipped stone celt from Missouri. Notice the strong knapping and also the polished bit at the end. The polish forms over the chipped areas from use. It can be very shiny, but you can still make out the knapping on the end and easily tell it was a tool.

Keep looking and happy hunting,

Atlantis

Attachments

• fltclt 002.jpg
    fltclt 002.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 710
  • fltclt 001.jpg
    fltclt 001.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 3,056
Hey Deep,that makes sence... I will put it in my maybe box! ;D
I will how-ever not give no apology to Can-o-man for saying I don't like fighting ect..It was an personal opinion... had nothing to do with him and Note (No names where mentioned!) in any line anywhere.Where the heck does he come up with this stuff anyway? ;)

Ghost- I don't want an apology for that- I don't like the fighting either, we're all here to learn. I meant if I was right about it being a rock (if you sent it in to be authenticated) Nothing more nothing less. You obviously don't like or want my opinions on your stuff so I'll let it be- I will refrain from putting my two cents worth in on any of your future posts. Happy Hunting- ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back