School yard gives up another ring and silver dime

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Third 2 hour trip to the school yard near my home. It is a huge area. There is a building there in the 1938 aerial photo, so I keep hoping for older coins. Finally found one today a -- 1949 S rosie. It came out of the ground so clean I knew it must be silver ;D. I'm going to soak it, but be very careful not to rub it. Isn't 1949 S a semi - key date and worth a bit more than bullion?

No pattern to were the finds are coming from though :'(.

Also found a ring, a charm, and a GS pendant (Girl Scouts?). Along with another 3 Q, 3D, 1 N, 12P. Lots more pennies around, but I had to get picky to try and find some more silver before dark. ::). LOL. Found the ring by one tree (corrosion says it is costume, but man is it heavy). Any way to date the ring by the cut of the glass stone? I'm hoping to prove to myself there will be older coins there.

And the big trees are horribly junkie. I'll have to hit them hard when I get back from upper New York. And when I'm not at the revolutionary war fort working MDing as part of a archaeological survey. Sigh, life is hard :D. See my posting in Tnet Group hunts.

Attachments

• Overall.jpg
    Overall.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 562
  • 1949SFront.jpg
    1949SFront.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 552
  • 1949SBack.jpg
    1949SBack.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 561
  • Ring.jpg
    Ring.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 558
Upvote 0
Nice little silver, congrats on being persistant and thinking positive. The ring is pretty cool too, costume or not, nice!

Smiles!
BDoo

Nice finds, looks like you had a great day of detecting. Congrats on the Silver Roosevelt dime. Yes it is a key date, but it must be in EF-40 condition and your's looks pretty worn. But heck if you want to sell it, you can get around 70 cents for it. But being a first I doubt you will sell it.

HH, Ringfinder

The GS pin dates to WW II

HH
-GC

Other than 55 and 55D, nothing else in the Rosey series has such low mintage. You could argue that the 49S is the best date; good find!

Thanks for all the help. So, a dime, a GS pendant, and probably the ring are all pre-1950. I think I'll find a partner and hit the area again. ::) HH all.

cant go wrong with a silver dime! congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back