Attachments

• Scabbard Tip 1.jpg
    Scabbard Tip 1.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Scabbard Tip 2.jpg
    Scabbard Tip 2.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
This is just the right size and shape to be a scabbard tip. Please, what makes you think it's from a helmet plume?

Upvote 0
just a gut feeling from the strong similarities to Plumes,although I know I have seen one with the oak leaf pattern like yours I can not find an example.At 2 1/4 it may be too small for a plume,but the over sized ball is not practical or like any I have seen on a scabbard?What does the bottom of the "ball",look like?is there a hole?I am imagining not,which would add one more strike against it being a plume base

Upvote 0
object looks round to me...beautiful find...
most swords in the new world were flat...as were the scabbard furniture.
if it is not a plume holder...my next favorite guess is the tip off a bolo tie. but it appears to be a bit large at the open end for a tie fitting.
fyVMtP8A.jpg

Upvote 0
Theblackprince wrote:
> Please, what makes you think it's from a helmet plume?

Kuger and I have seem helmet plume-holders which look extremely similar to your find.

Kuger, in the side-view photos a flat area is visible on the bottom of the ball... which indicates a mounting-hole is there. I agree with you, it is a helmet plume-holder. I've seen one exactly like it somewhere, but I cannot recall exactly where.

Meanwhile, here are some links for Theblackprince which show various helmet-plume holders. Look at the bottom of the plume on the helmet.

Dress Helmet

1880's U s Artillery Enlisted Man's Dress Helmet with Red Horse Hair Plume | eBay

Another variety (be sure to look at the closeup photo of the plume's base):
Original Cavalry Dress Helmet 2nd Co Governor's Horse Guard Connecticut 1890 | eBay

More:
Model 1881 U s Army Signal Corps Dress Helmet and Cords | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Theblackprince wrote:
> Please, what makes you think it's from a helmet plume?

Kuger and I have seem helmet plume-holders which look extremely similar to your find.

Kuger, in the side-view photos a flat area is visible on the bottom of the ball... which indicates a mounting-hole is there. I agree with you, it is a helmet plume-holder. I've seen one exactly like it somewhere, but I cannot recall exactly where.

Meanwhile, here are some links for Theblackprince which show various helmet-plume holders. Look at the bottom of the plume on the helmet.

Dress Helmet

1880's U s Artillery Enlisted Man's Dress Helmet with Red Horse Hair Plume | eBay

Another variety (be sure to look at the closeup photo of the plume's base):
Original Cavalry Dress Helmet 2nd Co Governor's Horse Guard Connecticut 1890 | eBay

More:
Model 1881 U s Army Signal Corps Dress Helmet and Cords | eBay

:notworthy:Thank you my friend,its been eating me up that I can not find an example!!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
You're welcome.

Two clues that it isn't a scabbard-tip:
1- Lack of punch-holes for attaching to the end of the leather scabbard.
2- Scabbard-tips get a lot of "rough treatment"... so they are made of fairly thick sheetbrass. On Theblackprince's find, the photos show the "fronds" are made of very-thin stamped sheetbrass.

Upvote 0
Kuger and TheCannoballGuy are indeed correct that this item is a plume holder from military headgear. :icon_thumright:

My thoughts are though, that this is in fact an earlier "Shako" hat plume holder, rather than from a military helmet of the style seen in the later 19th Century.

I've seen similar style hat plume holders recovered from Florida sites dating to the Second Seminole War period (1835-1842).

CC Hunter

Upvote 0
Looks like you guys are right and I was wrong. I really thought it was a scabbard tip because of the size and shape. I was mistaken about the shape, of course, because the thing has been compressed into a flatter than normal shape. And, yes, there is a hole at the end of the ball and that really puzzled me. I figured that was just the way it was made. The possibility of a plume holder never crossed my mind. I thank you all for your valuable information. If anyone manages to find an exact match, I'd love to hear about it.

theblackprince

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back