Saxon coin?

steve_rowlands

Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today out with MD group in Berkshire England.
Could be nothing or something.
Any info appreciated as always.
Steve IMG-20190303-WA0020.jpegIMG-20190303-WA0022.jpegIMG-20190303-WA0018.jpeg

Could be Saxon, but the cross was used for at least 500 years to Elizabeth I. The portrait side is hard to see and that would help more in identification.

Upvote 0
Amazing find Englad is the place to be I wouldnt even need discrimination dig everything lol Well done

Upvote 0
Medieval lead token.

Upvote 0
Ahhh so it is. I always look forward to your replies :) do you know what context it was used?
These lead tokens had many uses & where believed to have started as medieval hops tokens. You would get a token for every bag of hops you harvested. At the end of the day, your pay was worked out by how many you handed in. The idea was used by many land-owners, like potato farmers etc. Hence why they ended up in fields. However, they were also used by shops when small change was in short supply. Plus there were Boy Bishop Tokens, & a lead token for a game called 'shy cock'. Came from a game when they stoned a cockerel to death, that was tied to a stick. Later this went out of fashion & the boys would throw a lead token at a target.

These tokens were still being produced in the 1800s. So many of them, are near impossible to date & to track down who made them. I'm lucky I have a large one with the name of my Village & a date! (& even with this info the local historians have no idea what it was used for)

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for the fascinating reply, I really enjoyed reading it.
Steve

Upvote 0
Could be, but why not - as there seems to be an animal-type motif on second picture.
...or its a token...?
There's such a HUGE collection of History in that region - THE-place-to-hunt...!
Great Find...! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back