Saving lost pennies - is it worth it?

fredbug 67

Oct 12, 2013
Mahwah,NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -XP Deus-
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a site where someone discarded a jar of pennies. All fairly modern dating from 1959-1986. They threw a glass jar down this embankment in the woods and the whole slope was covered in pennies. I think they were dropped at least 25 years ago.I have counted over 700 good copper coins and have a flower pot full of at least 500 rotted zinc coins made from 1983 on. The zincs are worthless junk and I feel bad that future generations of hunters will have no pennies to collect. I believe there are hundreds more to be saved- do you think it's worth the effort? I have to sift through the dirt on the slope and have so far spent 7-8 hours in the effort.It just bothers me to know they are laying there waiting to be found and saved. Pics taken on a 3 ft. Tree stump- good copper pennies in groups of 100 and flower pot full of rotted zinc pennies.

Attachments

• image-3207479860.jpg
    image-3207479860.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 180
  • image-2746225044.jpg
    image-2746225044.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 170
Upvote 7
I say dig em all! There might be some other goodies beneath the pennies. Besides, when are you gonna find a penny spill like that again ;)

Someone wants to throw away money well throw it at me! I say get it all :) you've already paid for the batteries :laughing7: Just have to have the patience of a fisherman and the claws of a honey badger now! Hehh

We all know you have to wade through the bad to get the good stuff. Keep at it you never know what may be hidden, hang on to the copper pennies for sure. The zink is junk but the few I find that are spendable...use um.

I agree with what everyone has said. Offtrail is right, spend the zincolns and save the coppers for a rainy day. As of today a copper penny has $0.02 worth of copper. Even if we never can melt them, they are still worth a penny!

Put all the stinkin zincs in a mason jar, bury it, leave treasure signs, draw an elaborate coded map some cache hunter will hate you for it someday :D

Is it worth the effort you ask? Well, it took a lot of effort to lay all those pennies in neat little rows on that stump.

I would get a couple of kids with a trowel each and let them dig while you swing.

Here is how I figure it. You found 700 good pennies in 7 hours which works out to $1.00 per hour. I have gone out detecting MANY MANY times for 4-5 hours and come home with perhaps $1.00 in clad and modern coins. So that works out to $.20 cents and hour. My friend you hit the motherload....LOL Dig Em ALL!!!

The coppers are, zincs not so much but maybe there's a mint error in there somewhere!
Or there just may be something under all that, that may or may not have a connection, you just never know. Chalk it up to being an adventure!

CladGrabber- I like that idea! A Fenn like treasure hunt! I'll donate my beach zincs, they are slowly turning to white powder due to corrosion, may be nothing but corrosive powder when found tho. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

I'm going to dig all I can get- my wife thinks I'm crazy ( but what else is new!)
Thanks for your opinions.

Id dig em all , copper is worth it and as far as I am concerned any coin find is a good find :D so dig em all mate you might find a silver or something!

Put all the stinkin zincs in a mason jar, bury it, leave treasure signs, draw an elaborate coded map some cache hunter will hate you for it someday :D

You could also make a reference to JW Booth's missing diary pages on your coded map, then get an old envelope and tear some pages from a note book but don't write anything on them and put them in the envelope and stash it with the pennies, (hey, nobody ever said he wrote anything on 'em...ha ha).

On the contrary... it may be best to walk away, let it go...just pennies.

P.S. please PM me with very specific directions to said stash:laughing7:

I'd be completely, psychologically unable, to leave them there.

Perhaps when you find an area where you know you can find good stuff but do not have the time and plan to return, you could seed the area with a carpet of zinc to keep the next guy busy... I think I was on the receiving end of that trick already!:BangHead:

Just view the pennies as a bonus to all the exercise and fresh air you'll be getting finding them! No way would I be able to walk away from any coin stash. Too much fun finding all those coins!

If those zincs fit in a penny wrapper then they are coins, not trash. Use that spot as a "go to" spot if you just want to find something. Of course, don't shed tears if someone collects the rest ahead of you.
If it was me I would strip mine that slope and walk home with a smile.
Good luck and keep the coil low.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back