Sandbars, muddy rivers and arrowheads?

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I live in a place where we have only muddy rivers with sandbars. I know where there are a lot of Indian camps at on the dirt bluff banks, some of which are falling off into the river. I have never found an arrowhead in any of the rivers before but I have heard of tohers finding them. Digging the bluff banks would be dangerous because the bank often caves in and digging would have to be done from a boat. So where do you look for arrowheads in these types of rivers? Where would you look for on the sandbars? Would like to start hunting the rivers more since I can hunt them year round. Any input would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
You could try bringing a sifter and sift through the sand, or even rake around the sand. Where I am at, all we have are rocky creeks and rivers. We have some sandbars, but almost never "pure" sand.

I like looking for eroded areas on top of the bluffs or areas by the creek where there are other rocks. Then I take a hard look at as many of those rocks as possible.

No rocks here unless they were brought in. All swamps and sand hills. The rivers only have sand and mud in them.
When the water drops I thought about looking at the head of the sandbars. Only problem with that is most of the camps were just down river of the sandbars on the run side. I have heard of folks finding arrowheads on some sandbars but not sure where.
As soon as the flood water drops I will try several different spots and see what works best. Just figured someone might have a bit of insight but I guess no one here hunts muddy rivers?

Sounds like sandbars are your best bet unless you like working hard at sifting a river bottom. And search the whole sandbar :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back