Salvaged full groove axe

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
This axe found in Clark County Indiana measures 5 1/2 inches by 4 1/2 inches wide at the widest part of the poll has ancient salvage grinding on the bit where ancient bit damage occurred. I think the material is Diorite, an intrusive igneous rock.

This axe has smooth ground surfaces on all areas of the axe, with light peck marks also visible over all the axe.

This is one of two anciently salvaged axes I have. The other being made of slate, posted Apr 17, 2020. The slate has bit damage also, and the bit was flaked to a ripple like surface, and no salvage polish on the bit. The slate axe was found close to my home in Hancock County Indiana circa 1980's.

The side without salvage
SALVAGED_AXE_4.jpg

Showing the salvaged area of the bit
SALVAGED_AXE_2.jpg

At an angle for better viewing pleasure.
SALVAGED_AXE_3.jpg

Axe side view.
SALVAGED_AXE_1.jpg

Upvote 16
I donā€™t think they used axes here just Celts. If they did they hid them quite well cause I havenā€™t found even a piece of one. Thatā€™s a nice save you made finding it. Iā€™d like to see the slate one too if you donā€™t mind. Idk if Iā€™ve ever seen a slate one before.

I donā€™t think they used axes here just Celts. If they did they hid them quite well cause I havenā€™t found even a piece of one. Thatā€™s a nice save you made finding it. Iā€™d like to see the slate one too if you donā€™t mind. Idk if Iā€™ve ever seen a slate one before.
Here is the URL to that post.

Thatā€™s a first for me. I knew they used slate like that for Banner Stones but Iā€™ve never seen it used for a ax, very cool. I have something that the locals here say is a ax Iā€™ve found but itā€™s not grooved just notched. Itā€™s either a Guilford ax or a preform Banner. Thanks for the share on the axes.

Most celts and axes I find in central IL are made from either diorite or diabase. Both similar intrusive igneous rocks. Diabase has grains that are a bit finer. One type will grade into the other. Your axe is about half way in between. Yours has pink feldspar crystals that are a bit larger than my diorite sample. Your material is nearly porphyritic.
IMG_2701.jpeg
IMG_2700.jpeg

Last edited:
...so...granite! ;)
ā€œGraniteā€ is used by many people to describe any igneous rock. A geologist would tell you granite is composed of quartz, mica, and feldspar. Dognoseā€™s axe is not granite. His axe is composed of plagioclase, pyroxene , and amphibole with a bit of feldspar. Every Indian knew the difference.šŸ˜Ž

....to me every intrusive igneous rock is ...granite!

ā€œGraniteā€ is used by many people to describe any igneous rock. A geologist would tell you granite is composed of quartz, mica, and feldspar. Dognoseā€™s axe is not granite. His axe is composed of plagioclase, pyroxene , and amphibole with a bit of feldspar. Every Indian knew the difference.šŸ˜Ž
Ahhh takes me back to my geology classes being in a sedimentary basin I donā€™t get much exposure to terms like that anymore, good work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back