✅ SOLVED Saddle sheild of some sort maybe?

Atticis

Jan 24, 2022
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• 20231031_175004.jpg
    20231031_175004.jpg
    946.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 20231031_175013.jpg
    20231031_175013.jpg
    866.1 KB · Views: 108
I think that would be considered to be a nameplate rather than a saddle shield, probably off of a leather-clad trunk, or old leather satchel of some sort. Neat piece!
After talking with some people that's pretty much the consensus. Name badge of some sort for a saddle bag or leather trunk. Gonna mark this likely solved. Now to drive myself crazy trying to get an impression and rubbing good enough to make out what it says 😄

Upvote 3
Folks who wanna call these items shoulder plates or belt plates instead of trunk plates always say “no examples have been found that are engraved.” Yet such examples are dug, and here is another one. Yep, it’s a trunk or saddlebag plate.

Upvote 6
It is a unique find :) Sure hope you find out for sure. When and IF you do please post it :)

Upvote 3
Tried but the only paper I had available at the time was too heavy to get much off of it being that most of the engraving is super shallow and worn.
Try using a piece of chalk. Lightly rub it over the scrolled lettering.

Then take a piece of cotton and lightly brush off the excess chalk.

The remaining chalk will stay in the imprinted etching.
Won't harm the piece either, as it'll wipe off.

Upvote 9
Try using a piece of chalk. Lightly rub it over the scrolled lettering.

Then take a piece of cotton and lightly brush off the excess chalk.

The remaining chalk will stay in the imprinted etching.
Won't harm the piece either, as it'll wipe off.
Huh. Never thought of that. I'll give it a shot!

Upvote 3
I found something similar a few years ago. The back looks a bit different.

The name on it was the person who built the house I was hunting in the 1830s. And below his name was the name of the town where it was found.

Attachments

• 20170715_171034.jpg
    20170715_171034.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 2017071595171020.jpg
    2017071595171020.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 6
I found something similar a few years ago. The back looks a bit different.

The name on it was the person who built the house I was hunting in the 1830s. And below his name was the name of the town where it was found.
That's super cool! I'm hoping mine is similar and goes back to the original owner of the property. If so it's a really awesome and somewhat significant piece of local history

Upvote 5
Folks who wanna call these items shoulder plates or belt plates instead of trunk plates always say “no examples have been found that are engraved.” Yet such examples are dug, and here is another one. Yep, it’s a trunk or saddlebag plate.
That's the first time I have heard the engraving argument. What I always hear is "show me a trunk with one of those clipped corner plates on it". I'm not saying they're not trunk plates, but I'm still waiting to see one on a trunk. I dug this one in Antigua 30 years ago. It has six mounting hooks on the back.

Attachments

• Plate-F.jpg.JPG
    Plate-F.jpg.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 4
Great Save of the engraved plate/shield. It would really be cool to be able to pin this piece down to the owner of the property. Very nice Save regardless.

Upvote 3
Great Save of the engraved plate/shield. It would really be cool to be able to pin this piece down to the owner of the property. Very nice Save regardless.
I'm working on it! The property has a long history with some significance locally. It was also party used as a short term camp during the Civil War and had a fair amount of traffic well before with the French and Spanish that came through the area as it is along a fairly major bayou in south Louisiana not too too far from the Mississippi River.

Upvote 5
The chalk is a good idea. If it won't stay in the engraving well, you could try a moist pigmented mixture, like tempura paint or waterborne wood filler. Both of these have water-soluble base, so they are easily washed off if necessary. But they tend to stay in depressions better than dry pigments like chalk. They can be wiped on, allowed to dry and then gently wiped off with a soft, moistened cloth or paper towel. The pigment should remain in the engraving, making it more visible.
Sometimes, very oblique, concentrated light can reveal shallow impressions, too, without any other preparation.

Upvote 3
The chalk is a good idea. If it won't stay in the engraving well, you could try a moist pigmented mixture, like tempura paint or waterborne wood filler. Both of these have water-soluble base, so they are easily washed off if necessary. But they tend to stay in depressions better than dry pigments like chalk. They can be wiped on, allowed to dry and then gently wiped off with a soft, moistened cloth or paper towel. The pigment should remain in the engraving, making it more visible.
Sometimes, very oblique, concentrated light can reveal shallow impressions, too, without any other preparation.
I've been rather busy lately but I'm going to grab some chalk and also give this a shot too this weekend. Will update with pictures when I do. I've tried every angle of light and it's like I can almost make it all out but it just doesn't make sense. Like I see the letters but can't process what they actually are haha

Upvote 0
That's the first time I have heard the engraving argument. What I always hear is "show me a trunk with one of those clipped corner plates on it". I'm not saying they're not trunk plates, but I'm still waiting to see one on a trunk. I dug this one in Antigua 30 years ago. It has six mounting hooks on the back.
Here’s a clipped one and an oval one :)

Attachments

• IMG_7841.jpeg
    IMG_7841.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7843.jpeg
    IMG_7843.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 22
Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back