• image-1779303423.jpg
    image-1779303423.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 108
  • image-2776278203.jpg
    image-2776278203.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 110
S - Shillings
D - Pence

Its a coin weight, it might take awhile to pin down the date, maybe 19th C??

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
There is one other possibility, that I don't like so much, but they do stamp the weights more frequently; Bullion Weight.

However, on probability, its a mid-late 18th C Coin Weight for a Portuguese coin.

Upvote 0
As ever CRU great ID :) it was found within 10 feet of an Edward I and henry VIII half groat and a medieval lead token.

Upvote 0
The S D for shillings / pence is a great idea and it could very well be it. But as Crusader mentioned above -and I think is important - there should be numbers associated with the S and D. Without that it seems the weight wouldn't have any significance or use.

Maybe they wore off... but it also may help to have a size of this piece. Do you have a weight for it and a diameter? That could help to match it up if it is a coin weight.

But if you are happy with the ID then no need to bother. It's your find :)

Upvote 0
Bramblefind said:
The S D for shillings / pence is a great idea and it could very well be it. But as Crusader mentioned above -and I think is important - there should be numbers associated with the S and D. Without that it seems the weight wouldn't have any significance or use.

Maybe they wore off... but it also may help to have a size of this piece. Do you have a weight for it and a diameter? That could help to match it up if it is a coin weight.

I will def get a weight and measurement for you. Always want to know the full ID, it's pretty worn but I'll see of I can get any numbers on it

Upvote 0

The number thing worried me as well, thats why I started researching Bullion weights but no joy there.

It is also why I thought it maybe unoffical. ie. the guy who made it knew what it was meant to weigh & put the SD so as to give it some convincing letters if it was over looked.

Upvote 0
Is there a mark under the S ?

Upvote 0
If you look under zoom you can see lettering around the edge if the item. Could it be some type of counter stamped coin?

Dig until your arm falls off

Upvote 0
If you look under zoom you can see lettering around the edge if the item. Could it be some type of counter stamped coin?

bugger, I focussed so much on the SD, I over looked this obivious possibility. If it was a coin, it looks like a large rim around both sides, maybe a dump issue Geo I. Also, the quality could be poor, because it might have been a counterfiet coin put to good use as a couterstamped token. SD - initials of issuer.

Upvote 0
What about a cartwheel penny? They have wide rims
image-2776278203.jpg
image-2776278203 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bramblefind said:
Yep that's why I asked for the size and weight :icon_thumleft: It could make a big difference on the possibilities for this.

Will do they tonight after work ;)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back