Rubbing coins, yes or no?

Joe1944

Jul 3, 2013
Rockland County, NY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a few weeks ago, I got the shock of my life finding my first Standing Liberty, a coin I had yearned to find since I started detecting a few weeks earlier, in my front yard! I handed it to my dad to let him see, and let out a yelp when he began to forcibly rub the dirt off the coin with his thumb. I quickly stopped him and explained to him how you should never rub coins, how it leaves small streaks, etc. I wasn't too sure he believed me, as his defense was that it was worn anyway. It didn't matter to me! That was my first silver! (BTW, it was an illegible date, but minted in San Fran!) :thumbsup:

I was detecting my back yard yesterday and got a nice 1944S wheatie, and again, I made the mistake of handing it over, and again, he rubbed it.:BangHead: And again I went over the same explanation, but I still don't think he gets it. I know Wheaties aren't to valuable, but still, why risk it?

Am I going too overboard or am I just being cautious newbie? I told him I would ask the question here and see what you guys would have to say. I, personally, only rub lightly, and just to get the excess clump off of it.

So to sum it up, is it alright to rub the dirt off of a newly dug coin? :3coins::3coins::3coins::coins:

I found my first spill today! It consisted of a 41 and 43 quarter, a real nice 44 mercury, 2 40's nickles, and 50 and 61 penny's. In my back yard too!

I didn't hand any to my dad. ;D

I say put some fresh clay mixed with small rocks on your dads face, and then start to rub it off with your thumb very vigorously, then when he complains and says he would rather wash it off. Explain to him his face is already cover with wrinkles whats a few more scratches .. LOL but that is just me.

I say put some fresh clay mixed with small rocks on your dads face, and then start to rub it off with your thumb very vigorously, then when he complains and says he would rather wash it off. Explain to him his face is already cover with wrinkles whats a few more scratches .. LOL but that is just me.

That was excellently put! :sign10:

Thanks everyone, this will be more than enough to convince him. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back