32.8 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_1170.JPG
    IMG_1170.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 387

Attachments

• roa.JPG
    roa.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 360
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
A little more trivia about this decoder:

Each year, Ovaltine brought out a different model for this decoder ring. The Radio Orphan Annie secret decoder model used in the movie "A Christmas Story" is the 1940 model.

Refererence: Olsen, John. "A short history of Radio's Orphan Annie and her Decoder Badges.". First Generation Radio Archives. First Generation Radio Archives. http://www.radioarchives.org/annie/.

Usually, as radio premiums, a proof of purchase (boxtop, label, or jar seal) was sent to the sponsor by mail. Among the most famous decoders were the ones given to kids by the makers of Ovaltine. Ovaltine started cryptological premiums for the Little Orphan Annie radio program, and continued with the Captain Midnight radio and television programs. Most of them were badges. Three were pocket items, none were rings.

There is an urban legend that the Little Orphan Annie radio show transmitted a secret message that deciphered to, "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine." Actually, no such message was ever sent, but the legend was immortalized in the movie A Christmas Story.

--Thanks BigC!

-whynot

Upvote 0
OMG, is all I can say the people and the knowledge of most everyone on this site amazes me , except everyone's idea of the best detector a beginner should have and which is best :laughing9:. This hobby has got to be one of the most diverse, and interesting hobbies out there. I have only been out detecting a couple times each for about two hours (local park ) and managed 3 some odd dollars in clad, but am looking forward to digging some cool what's its :headbang:. HH
Rusted Nail

Upvote 0
Wow! I am so very happy I found out what exactly this item is! I found one day before yesterday using my metal detector on a lot that had a very old house on it. I thought it was something from one of those organisations..such as the Odd Fellows or something of that nature. The one I found has the official number as C 67362. It is in excellent condition but, it does not turn. But..at least I now know what it is! I also found 1 buffalo nickle and a 1945 Washington quarter in the same hole! I'll be going back tomorrow! Happy Hunting! Kenny

Upvote 0
My mystery item has been identified. What is this about a green check? Kenny..

Upvote 0
Green check means Solved. Go to second 'Sticky' at top of this forum for information when you start a thread and can mark it Solved.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back